Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with becoming a citizen

My Friend is 21 and needs some assistance in becoming a citizen. Me and her have been researching this and we think we have it down but would like some conformation. She was brought here when she was young from PI. Her parents are perment residents, but do not believe they are full citizens. She has nothing. no visa, greencard ext. So this is what we have found out that she needs to do, and if it is wrong please let us know. She needs to find a relative that is a citizen (or can it be just a legal resident?) have them sponser her, try to get a visa, then try to become a legal resident and then try to become a citizen. Is this correct? We want to ask people about it in person but she is a bit scared about what would happen if something was wrong and she gets sent back or worse her entire family. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU

My Friend is 21 and needs some assistance in becoming a citizen. Me and her have been researching this and we think we have it down but would like some conformation. She was brought here when she was young from PI. Her parents are perment residents, but do not believe they are full citizens. She has nothing. no visa, greencard ext. So this is what we have found out that she needs to do, and if it is wrong please let us know. She needs to find a relative that is a citizen (or can it be just a legal resident?) have them sponser her, try to get a visa, then try to become a legal resident and then try to become a citizen. Is this correct? We want to ask people about it in person but she is a bit scared about what would happen if something was wrong and she gets sent back or worse her entire family. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU

Comment

First, your friend needs to ascertain her parents' immigration status AND HER OWN. Are her parents LEGAL permanent residents? Or even here on some kind of legal visa? Did she herself enter legally? And has anyone applied for 245i for her and her parents?

If she entered illegally, without inspection, then there's really not likely to be a way for her to legalize without returning to her homeland unless she's covered by 245i (which last expired April 2001). Even if she were to marry a U.S. citizen, she would remain illegal and to legalize she would have to return to her homeland while her husband filed a waiver request for her to return. IF she entered legally, but doesn't have a current visa or green card, then she's probably an overstay, and can probably only adjust if she marries a U.S. citizen who sponsors her. A U.S. citizen-relative other than her parents or a husband can't really sponsor her without the 10-year bar coming into play, meaning she'd have to leave the US for 10 years. (I'm not a lawyer, so she'd do well to check with one, AFTER she finds out just how she and her family entered.)

Comment

File a Freedom of Information Act request on her, and probably on one of her parents -- this will help ascertain her status and if her parents have status.

Comment

When did her parents get LPR status (what year) and how. She may have derivitive status depending on the year(s) her parents became PRs and how. If they came for employment for example she would ahve derivitive status - if another citizen (ie her parents parents - her grandparenst)applied for them then she may be able to claim citizenship under her grandparents status. (This is what happened for me.)She may have a GC and not even know it (I found mine in a box after my dad died!) Her parents can apply for citizenship or may qualify automatically if they arrived before a certain date. LPR status does NOT expire (even if you do not apply for a new card - some cards were issued way back when with no renewal stipulations!)so her family would not be sent back unless they committed horedous crimes. You can be a LPR forever without applying for citizenship.

It is probably best if she contacts an immigration lawyer -

Comment

Originally posted by iuneed View Post
            My Friend is 21 and needs some assistance in becoming a citizen. Me and her have been researching this and we think we have it down but would like some conformation. She has a friend who has hired a spinal injury lawyer for a case in texas. She was brought here when she was young from PI. Her parents are perment residents, but do not believe they are full citizens. She has nothing. no visa, greencard ext. So this is what we have found out that she needs to do, and if it is wrong please let us know. She needs to find a relative that is a citizen (or can it be just a legal resident?) have them sponser her, try to get a visa, then try to become a legal resident and then try to become a citizen. Is this correct? We want to ask people about it in person but she is a bit scared about what would happen if something was wrong and she gets sent back or worse her entire family. Any help would be appreciated. THANK YOU
            It is probably best if she contacts an immigration lawyer for sure.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation