X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealtorGal
    replied
    Ok...again, thanks! ;o) I feel better and will pass this along to my "friend" LOL

I am a 7th generation American, married w/ 3 kids under 2 years old (having 2 at once helped!). Citizenship is the least of my worries ;o) My "friend" doesn't have a computer and started telling me about her situation and in an effort to help her I told her I would research the situation.

From what I have read here, doesn't matter if she married a USC now or in 2 years - she would still be able to get LPR status and eventually full citizenship, yes?

Thanks so much for all the clarifications, etc. I was a lobbyist for 15 years and this is by far one of the most confusing topics to! me

Leave a comment:

• RationalE
    replied
    One can not gain Citizenship directly through marriage.
    Perhaps you are inquiring about acquiring of LPR status through marriage to USC?
    If that's the case, then be advised that your friend errs.
    Laws governing such cases may change in future, but it didn't happen yet.

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    One thing is clear, the law REMAINS THE SAME when it comes to eligibility to adjust.

However, what has changed is the COST of filing the application. This may be the "new law" the OP is talking about, the new fee schedule USCIS has published.

Again, the law remains THE SAME when it comes to eligibility, but now it'll cost more to file the application.

You may want to check with USCIS or with a lawyer if you have questions.

-THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE-

Leave a comment:

• Forvisas
    replied
    Realtor, I did not hear about such a change in the law, but... hey nobody 's perfect...
    If she extend her visa or change her visa that will have no influence on future adjustment of status based on marriage or employment.

All the best!

www.USImmigrationForAll.com

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    There's nothing of that sort being considered now, as far as I know. Your "friend" may be talking about the "Grand Bargain", but that bill is dead and gone.

But you mentioned the laws "changed", and they have not!

Leave a comment:

• RealtorGal
    replied
    Thank you all for responding! I am a bit confused of course....

ForVisas...your response was what I thought to be the case. However, have you heard of any law/rule changes that could be coming up in the next few months that would change the scenario you laid out?

Or, if she overextended her visa for more than "x" amount of time, does it change her status or change the rules that apply to her?

She has actually dated the guy and seems to like him, but to rush into marriage because of some "law" or "rule" that I have never heard of seems to be a life-changing mistake.

I'm concerned and I hate not knowing the realities!

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• Forvisas
    replied
    Realtor I do not know if what she told you is true or not (yet, maybe is on senate work table) but your friend is not "illegal" , she entered with a valid visa and overstayed her visa valability so she can marry an USC if is a good faith marriage and adjust status to conditional resident and after 2 years to permanent resident, she can apply for citizenship after.

www.USImmigrationForAll.com

Leave a comment:

• Hudson
    replied
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RealtorGal:
    A friend of mine who's VISA has expired told me that she had to get married within a month because the laws/regulations had changed. She said that next month any illegal immigrants who got married (whether for love or not) would not gain citizenship as a result of that marriage.

That doesn't make sense...but maybe I am wrong? Anyone know what about this?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This was proposed, but never passed or voted in the Senate.

Leave a comment:

• RealtorGal
    replied
    A friend of mine who's VISA has expired told me that she had to get married within a month because the laws/regulations had changed. She said that next month any illegal immigrants who got married (whether for love or not) would not gain citizenship as a result of that marriage.

That doesn't make sense...but maybe I am wrong? Anyone know what about this??

Leave a comment:

• RealtorGal
    started a topic New marriage law/regulation?

New marriage law/regulation?

That doesn't make sense...but maybe I am wrong? Anyone know what about this??
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney