Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To file a law suit against the Social Security Office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To file a law suit against the Social Security Office?

I received my Employment Authorisation Document issued by the Dept.of Homeland Security in December last year and got my Driver Licence renewed immediately soon after I received the EAD.
    When I visited the local Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security card, I was politely refused the same and my application was not even accepted by the Officer. This happened in Rio Grande in the Suburbs of Cape May in New Jersey.
    I was told that unless the INS gives me the I-551 stamp on my passport they will not accept my application for a social security card.
    I showed them my Driver License and Passport and Employment Authorisation Document all at the same time.

I then again tried to get a social security card from another Social Security office and they also told me that my status has not been updated in thier records.

Finally , now on the 25th of May 2005 I did receive my social security card after I again contacted another social security office and put in my application .

This time they accepted my application even though there was no change in any form of identification that I had shown them before.

They too, told me that the status of my case has not been updated in thier system or records.

As a result I have lost 5 months of employment opportunity as the EAD is valid only for one year.

Please advise if I can sue the Social Security Office or have a lawyer file a lawsuit against the Social Security Office.
    Born Free
    Living Free
    Forever Free

I received my Employment Authorisation Document issued by the Dept.of Homeland Security in December last year and got my Driver Licence renewed immediately soon after I received the EAD.
    When I visited the local Social Security Office to apply for a Social Security card, I was politely refused the same and my application was not even accepted by the Officer. This happened in Rio Grande in the Suburbs of Cape May in New Jersey.
    I was told that unless the INS gives me the I-551 stamp on my passport they will not accept my application for a social security card.
    I showed them my Driver License and Passport and Employment Authorisation Document all at the same time.

I then again tried to get a social security card from another Social Security office and they also told me that my status has not been updated in thier records.

Finally , now on the 25th of May 2005 I did receive my social security card after I again contacted another social security office and put in my application .

This time they accepted my application even though there was no change in any form of identification that I had shown them before.

They too, told me that the status of my case has not been updated in thier system or records.

As a result I have lost 5 months of employment opportunity as the EAD is valid only for one year.

Please advise if I can sue the Social Security Office or have a lawyer file a lawsuit against the Social Security Office.
    Born Free
    Living Free
    Forever Free

Comment

I have similar situation here. I am working here for 6 years. I have a social security number. I have my pension plans and so many other things eg mortgage and credit reports based on that social security number. I was working as pending Green card. Now I got I551 stamp in my passport. I went to social security office to get permanent ssn, They told me that they will contact the I 551 issuing office and it may take 4 weeks to confirm the stamp, at the same time you may not be able to work!! However my EAD is still valid till 11 more months and I551 stamp says authorized to work till 11 more months. The system is either screwed up or this is being done delibrately to harras people.

Comment

Raju D: Why do you assume that there is some conspiracy? You are eligible to continue working as you have a Social Security Number...your number will not change. The Social Security Administration is not able to replace your Social Security Card with an unrestricted card (same number) until your status has been updated in the USCIS computer system. This is not something that happens immediately, and can take several weeks. In my opinion, with your bad attitude, you deserve to be harassed...right back to your country of origin.

Elsa: The Social Security Administration cannot issue you a Social Security Number until the USCIS computer system has been updated...that is the law (maybe you don't have laws in your country of origin). Unless you are a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident, working in America is a privilege, not a right. You're in the country with a temporary status, and already you're contemplating suing the government. GET A LIFE.

Comment

Thanks for your polite comments, SunDevilUSA. SS office letter is saying, I am not able to work. You are saying i can work. Are you a Government officer appointed by Mr. Bush in this Forum to authorize people to work? I know that i can legally work. I am trying to tell this forum that there is some idiot in SS security office who wrote a letter to me that i can't work. Does that make sense to your thick brain, SunDevil? Please do answer.

Comment

Because of so much illegal activity with immigration, counterfeit documents, identity theft, etc. my understanding is that they are supposed to verify immigration status before issuing a card. I don't know why Elsa received a card before her case was updated. Sounds like you came across a sympathetic worker. I also understood that they would take the application but would not verify a number, etc. until status was verified. Why didn't you get stamp in your passport? I hope you're not going to add to the problem we have in this country of everyone filing a lawsuit every time things don't go their way. Agencies have policies they have to adhere to.

Raju, It sounds as if they're saying they can't verify your ss number, etc. and that according to THEIR records you're not legal to work because THEY don't have verification of your status yet. (in the computer) Because of the amount of counterfeit documents they're not going to accept letters, etc. You said "may not be able to work". Sounds like a form letter but if it says "may" and you have legal documentation saying that you CAN work, why are you upset? The "may" wouldn't apply to you, right? Evidently you've had a card before? What do you mean by "permanent ssn"? Your ss number won't change, the difference is whether they stamp something on your card saying it's not valid for work. It doesn't sound to me as if anyone is trying to harass someone, but does sound as if there is confusion as to what they can or cannot do. My understanding has been that your information has to first be updated in the system, stamp, letter, etc. made no difference.

Comment

Still learning, Thanks for the reply

Comment

Am I responsible for the slackness in the Social Security Office or the INS office in their inability to provide proper authorisation and paperwork and update their records.

Why issue an employment authorisation document to someone when you cannot update your records at that time.

What is the use of a EAD without the Social Security office having knowledge about it?

What employer is going to give anyone any kind of employment without a valid Social Security number?

What are you talking about ? I mean SunDevil and Still Learning?

Is anyone going to give me Food Stamps or Money for subsistence during the time you guys are going to figure out what is right or wrong with this system and who is fair or impartial or biased as to the opinions you seem to agree or disagree upon?

What is one supposed to do with the Employment opportunities that get refused each day waiting for the Social security office to get their records updated so that they can issue the social security card so that one can take it to the Employer for valid work opportunities and privileges?

Its easy to sit back and pass comments about what has already been experienced and is now a case of history for perhaps someone like SunDevil or Still Learning.

Bottom line .....If you guys haven't the records what are trying to proove by issuing us a Valid Employment Authorisation Document in the first place.

This Office is probably close to being the most Arrogant and Obnoxious Office with a long history or reputation of being so slack and lazy that perhaps if you need to know the definition of what Slackness means ...this office beats everyone else to it.

Cheers!!!!!

Have a Great Day ...SunDevil and Still Learning...don't bother to waste your time on this thread if you cannot contribute to what is asked for in this particular case.....
                Born Free
                Living Free
                Forever Free

Comment

Elsa, I'll reply to any thread that I like.Your only question appeared to be "Please advise if I can sue the Social Security Office or have a lawyer file a lawsuit against the Social Security Office." I explained that what happened to you is their policy. Whether things happen fast enough for you is another issue. Why don't you consult a lawyer and ask him or her if you can sue?? There are some lawyers that will take money for anything and smile the whole time. There are many flaws in the immigration system. Bureaucracy of any kind is always a pain to deal with. Maybe these delays are one reason people are required to have a sponsor? You have a very arrogant attitude. It sounds as if you got your ss card before you technically were supposed to (system not yet updated you said), so why not be thankful for that and go on with your life?

Comment

Elsa: Are you sure that you have an Employment Authorization Document? If you do actually have one, please look at it carefully and see how to correctly spell the word "authorization." Also, did you have such a sweet and friendly attitude when you went to the Social Security office? Is it any wonder that they wouldn't accept your application?

What you define as "arrogant, abnoxious, slack and lazy," we in the First World call the rule-of-law. I realize that you may not be familiar with this concept, but if you are going to live in America (and I hope that you don't), then you had better get used to it.

Comment

Raju:
                      I think you are mistaken. Once you have a Social Security number no one said you cannot continue to work. What happens is that when you have an Employment Authorization document (card) your SS card has a legend on the top that reads "valid only to work with INS so and so...." once your immigration status changes and you receive your "green card" you are able to remove that restriction and have a new SS card issued. At no point in time it means you are not allowed to work until you get a new card (you were already granted permission to work previously). SSA is not the one that decides your immigration status or you elegibility to work or to be a resident of the US so, it is obvious they have to verify with the issuing agency. This sounds like something they are doing to protect you, more than to harm you. What if "joe shmoe" goes and says change my card and SSA gives it to him no questions asked and that is really not you? What do you think will happen to your identity? Sometimes accusing is not the right thing to do. You simply don't know the procedures, and you are not the only person requesting this. There has to be a timeframe to give people an idea. So when they tell you it will take approximately this amount of time it is a courtesy they are having with you by letting you know how much time is the expected time. You may continue to work with that SSN until you get your new unrestricted card.Thinking about filing anything against the people who have offered you the opportunity to live a better life, to earn your living in a free country sounds like back stabbing your friend. Don't take things so personal, trying to get back for not doing things your way is not exactly right. There has to be a control mechanism. Think about it. Do you have any idea of how many people go to SSA offices requesting the same thing you are? Now do you think this is something that can happen while you are waiting? They are not the McDonalds drive thru, they have security regulations.

Comment

All US Government Agencies have their working manuals. But who reads that only 1%.
                        One time I went for my interview at one of the Agencies office, the Officer called his Assistant to find out if he can do this case or not.
                        The Assistant who already know the case as well as the Law (Which he had quoted during his comments.
                        I asked the officer who is he and why you had to asked him he clearly said I dont read much, this guy reads all incomming mail and give copies to his Clerks to read.
                        This is only lack of knowledge of manuals,and laws of that Department. System is OK people working in this department are just making money on accout of all of us.

Comment

Thanks for reply, bluebutterfly. The letter issued by SS office is rude. It does say that you have applied for ssn and this does not mean you are eligible to work. On the other hand(In response to Honerable SunDevil sweet comments) I pay taxes and social security fees in my taxes each year for the past 6 years and every year i get a statement from the same social security office, if i go on disability i will get this amount of money each month, my family will get this amount of money each month if i die!! I consider myself part of this country. and It is my right to say bad things about any agency who is rude and irresponsible, however, with the state of things happeningthese day and in the past few years eg terrorism etc, at one point it is the right thing to double check everything. To say someone that you 'cannot work, is not the right thing to do. They should change this letter.

Comment

Since the only thing the OP wants to hear or whether he/she can sue the SS office, then the answer is yes, providing you get the correct lawyer. The very same lawyer who will cost you thousands of dollars in fees when the court dismiss the charge/rule in favor of the government, which will happen undoubtedly.

Comment

both of you Sundevil and Still Learning seem to be oblivious of what you are talking about.

one of them yawns whilst the other one seems to be in some kind of weird mood when it comes to contributing to this forum.

Wait till you two see the amount of contributors who visit this thread and feel the same way.
                              Born Free
                              Living Free
                              Forever Free

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources