X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ircroxy
    replied
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I will certainly keep you updated with any new correspondence and/or occurances with this issue. I received my return receipt in the mail today, signed by a USICS employee...just in case
    Plaudin, I have to be seperated a year before a divorce can be filed/granted..but am filing for divorce of bed and board. Hope that is sufficient for now anyway. I do have an attorney for the divorce, am still searching for one for immigration purposes.

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Plaudin
    replied
    Hi Ircroxy:
    First I want to say that I am very sorry to hear what is happening to you. But you should be glead. THERE IS SOME GREAT PEOPLE HERE WITH GREAT ADVISE. GOOD JOB GUY'S. For 4now. I have to say I am sorry. I thought wrong about you. It seems you realy know what you are talking about. This discussion also helps me. GREAT! THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Ircroxy. My advise also. Get a lawyer ASAP + file for divorce. Get all evidence as the people here said.

GOOD LUCK!

Leave a comment:

• ARQU
    replied
    I concur - get all the evidence that you can muster...

ARQU

Leave a comment:

• porcelain
    replied
    The best advice I could give you is to get everything possible on paper. The INS/BCIS loooves paper, especially official papers. Get police reports, doctors letters, letters from the shelter, records of meetings with your lawyer and the divorce papers in preparation, records of your searching for the husband, the reports showing he has filed for bankruptcy & defaulted on loans, any evidence of his drug use, everything you can possibly get your hands on and the more official, the better.

Leave a comment:

• ircroxy
    replied
    Thank you wish for your reply. My experience with the senators office is, I contacted them in march for a status update inquiry, they got back to me *after* I received my interview date this month, so they're not any quicker for me. I don't wish the interview to be expedited, I'll wait my turn in line I know they got the request because I tracked my priority mail online and it shows who signed for it and when. I just need the time to get all evidences together.

Leave a comment:

• Wish
    replied
    I would also suggest that you contact your local congressmen to help you reschedule the interview. You already sent a request to INS and now call your congressmen and they have INS caseworkers who will help expedite the process of rescheduling or at least making sure that you needed reschedule.
    Its a very good way!

Leave a comment:

• ircroxy
    replied
    *LOL* them stars are for a b-u-m-p-y ride

Leave a comment:

• ircroxy
    replied
    we have some evidences. Pictures of his g'friend. Or one of them. A copy of an online dating service application/membership in his name (email addy and nickname). Old phone bills (from when we lived together with their numbers on them). The shelter is providing me with documentation we were there. Have to contact police yet. Between working 80 - 90 hrs a week and my daughters baby, I'm finding time hard to come by, but I will get it all done. In my state I still have 6 months before divorce can be filed/granted/applied (whatever you do).
    Yes, I do have evidence that I notified them, a copy of the letter they sent me with the reason in the box they provided, my receipt of sending it, date stamped and also am getting a return receipt.
    Thanks for your replies and I will keep you all posted. I'm in for a ***py ride.

Leave a comment:

• Pasha Patel
    replied
    Hello ircroxy,

One week notice should be enough I guess as long as you have evidences / return receipt that you did notify them ... u should be ok... good that you guys found his address ... did u collect all those stuff whats been said before ?

If you get divorce before they give you another date for interview ... u can file for good faith marriage waiver ended in divorce ...]

Otherwise you will have to file battered spouse waiver ....

Good luck ... Pasha

Leave a comment:

• Aguila
    replied
    Keep us updated please!

Leave a comment:

• ircroxy
    replied
    Thank you for all your replies and suggestions, they have not gone unnoticed. I sent my reschedule request yesterday with a valid reason, proof of reason attached. I sent it priority mail, return receipt. My attorney has started on the paperwork for divorce of bed and board and we have located his address. I just hope one weeks notice will be enough for them to reschedule, I also hope they open the envelope and it don't just sit on a desk. I kept a copy of it and my receipt in case. Thanks again...

Leave a comment:

• lanavip
    replied
    Hi ircroxy,
    Sorry about your situation. I am very impressed with all the knowledge and advice the board offers. Pasha, you rule! I don't have much to add, but story from my experience.

My friend was married to an abusive USC husband and it started with emotional abuse, and then escalated to him threatening her with knife and trying to choke her. Still, she was embarrassed and ashamed to talk about it, because he was claiming that she was at fault -- she made him do it, she was not good enough... My friend and I had to drag her to the police station to file a report and to get immediately order of protection. He was arrested, then released and was calling her relatives with threats to kill everybody, they had him taped. Getting order of protection, she found out that he already had orders of protection previously filed by his ex-girlfriend and his own brother! Oh, she wished she had known it before. She stood by me for a month, then, when her teen-age son came to US, they rented apartment in another state. He was looking for her, and stalking her, when he found her. She got another order of protection. Finally, changed her name and moved again. He filed for divorce and it was granted without my friend being served. She found out she was divorced when she went to INS for an interview.

So it can be done without your husband served, as you know already, though you may try to find your husband through Bankruptcy Court or Post Office if he had filed change of address before leaving for Florida (get copies of letters of requests for his address from court and Post Office as proof of your intentions to locate him). You can also write a letter to his family or friends, asking about his whereabouts, notarize it, make copies, and send with confirmation and return receipt as proof for INS.

You will need about 6-8 affidavits from family, friends, church, shelter, police report should state that they recommended you to get order of protection or to go to shelter. State in your affidavit that you were afraid for your life when you had taken your daughter and granddaughter to the shelter. State, that there was emotional abuse (cheating, drug use, his girlfriends contacting your residency (I wish you had a copy of one letter), his refusal of intimate relationship...) prior to him attacking your daughter with a baby. Your daughter has to give notarized affidavit that she lived with you at that time or visited you often and had knowledge of abuse, give facts, dates and details, if possible, confirm that you started complaining to her 2,5 years ago... All affidavits should include facts that your marriage was bona fide plus knowledge of abuse, even if they never witnessed it, just know about it from you, your friends or your daughter. This is what my friends and I had to write in affidavits for our girlfriend.

That friend of mine had got her GC and finally living in peace. But she tells me she still feels ashamed as if it had been partially her fault; at least that she had not used better judgment marrying him.

Don't feel this way. You did nothing to deserve this attitude. Emphasize it in your affidavit.

And not everybody is there to judge you or question your reasons for marrying or divorcing. You know what is true. You just take care of yourself and your family. Congratulations on granddaughter!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Pasha Patel
    replied
    Hi ircroxy,

Sory to hear about your story. Well I will try to point out what you should do now .... It could be helpful.... If u read all those posts it will take lot of time but as I have followed them for starting ... I will try to recall everything I can and write here....

1. make your personal statement / affidavit of everything that happened during your marriage and get it notarized.

2. file for divorce and as 4now stated advertise in local newspaper that he has been missing for whatever months ... that way u will have proof that you don't have any contact after that so u cant go for interview together...

3. get letter for shelter house...

4. if cops have something in record when u called them in past...get that document.

5. get any kind of evidences about his affairs ... if that means to contact his mistresses / friends who will state about those affairs and get it notarized...

6. now this one I m not sure about ... but they have some kinda information system CD on internet to know about people's criminal past and stuff like that ... well I don't know how successful / real this is ... but u can try to find out about his past criminal ...as he used to take cocaine ...

7. if u have any evidences when he hit your daughter... from neighbors , medical bills or anything ...

8. above this get all evidences that your marriage was bona fide ...

file for divorce so at least you can ask for some time for ur divorce to be finalized and u can file bona fide marriage waiver but ended in divorce .... Coz for this one u must have divorce decree ...

if u r thinking of filing battered spouse waiver ...u can file anytime ... well u got one month so get everything ( evidences ) whatever u can ... did u go to some kind of counseling or psychiatrist when u went to shelter ... if yes then that's good ... u can submit that in ur waiver ... if u took some kind of medication for stress / depression whatever ....

I don't know how would it look like now but still u can go to a doctor and he will evaluate you / your mental status for depression .... Get that report from a doc too ... and u can include that one also...

Well this is all I can remember for now ... if I remember something else ... will let you know...good luck....

Reasons u can show them to reschedule interview ... I cant write here ... u know what I mean ... so u can write me an e mail poroxod@yahoo.com and I will tell you....

Leave a comment:

• ircroxy
    replied
    Thank you for your replies. No, my spouse did not hit me. I will contact my attorney tomorrow to start the procedures required with the divorce.

Leave a comment:

• 4now
    replied
    ok Icroxy

ok. some facts. thank you. sorry 4 u but these things are in your favor. IS there record in the police report of what you have spoken here. I mean the facts about physical abuse. Did he hit you too? You made a very bad decision in not seeking that restraining order and choosing a shelter. You could have kept him away from the home. Again I ask did he hit you? if so, proceed to do the following.

obtain services of cath soc serv. lawyaer or one that you have to prepare the 751 waiver based on both bonafide and abuse. THEY MUST BE DOCUMENTED to support your petitions.

Also your daughter's 751 petition will be on abuse with the documentation from police report.

There are means to get around the serving of divorce papers. if you know city in florida, you can run newspaper ad. you have social security number. domestic relations can find him thru his ssn. Many things you can do here but you need legal help. Cant bury your head in sand here and hope for the best, it will not happen like that. AS Aguilla suggested, ASk your lawyer about filing the I-360 VAWA(Violence against Women Act) for you, & absolutely for your daughter, thats "hands down". I dont know if you have enough documents to support it it, but a lawyer will know based on the evidences you present.

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation