Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security woes

After all the trouble I went through at immigration to legally work in the states you would think that by the time you actually get here that your troubles would be over and you could begin working.

Well your wrong.

Due to a new procedure for obtaining a social security number a lot of foreign workers legally present here in the states as well as students are now left high and dry as it now takes approximately 45 days to get a social security number. Now normally it would only take 2 weeks. But even with the extra time it would not be a problem since if you applied for an SS number the Social Security guys would give you a letter saying that you have applied for the number and it would be available soon but they won't even give you that. So what are you left with? Nothing.

I've never heard of any goverment in the world who had too much foresight. But certainly it seems they always have too little of it. This new policy was implemented no contigency whatsoever.

Like, come on, 30 days? To think with all that new security stuff they have and everything, to check if someone is legally here is insane. I mean all visas and I-94 cards have numbers and barcodes on them right? Couldn't they have just sent those numbers through the internet or perhaps fax them to a DHS office? Wouldn't an H1b of F1 suffice? I mean in my case for example, I have two visas (H1b and b1/b2) had I wanted to worked illegally in the states I would have done so in my previous say 5 trips?!

I can't even open a ****ed savings account or get a car even though I am willing to throw the bank a few thousand dollars.

If anyone knows of any loopholes to this silly procedure, please don't hesitate to answer.

After all the trouble I went through at immigration to legally work in the states you would think that by the time you actually get here that your troubles would be over and you could begin working.

Well your wrong.

Due to a new procedure for obtaining a social security number a lot of foreign workers legally present here in the states as well as students are now left high and dry as it now takes approximately 45 days to get a social security number. Now normally it would only take 2 weeks. But even with the extra time it would not be a problem since if you applied for an SS number the Social Security guys would give you a letter saying that you have applied for the number and it would be available soon but they won't even give you that. So what are you left with? Nothing.

I've never heard of any goverment in the world who had too much foresight. But certainly it seems they always have too little of it. This new policy was implemented no contigency whatsoever.

Like, come on, 30 days? To think with all that new security stuff they have and everything, to check if someone is legally here is insane. I mean all visas and I-94 cards have numbers and barcodes on them right? Couldn't they have just sent those numbers through the internet or perhaps fax them to a DHS office? Wouldn't an H1b of F1 suffice? I mean in my case for example, I have two visas (H1b and b1/b2) had I wanted to worked illegally in the states I would have done so in my previous say 5 trips?!

I can't even open a ****ed savings account or get a car even though I am willing to throw the bank a few thousand dollars.

If anyone knows of any loopholes to this silly procedure, please don't hesitate to answer.

Comment

Well, I opened my bank account without an SSN. You just have to sign a tax withholding paper with the bank. I also bought a few cars without a SSN, had no problem at registering them, even insuring them. If you wanna lease a car, that may be difficult without a SSN, but buying one for cash shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what state you are in, I'm talking about CA.
      I know for sure that Bank of America opens accounts without SSN.

Comment

Thanx man. I just came back from BA and they were glad to take my money (What bank wouldn't be glad to take in a depositor?).
        However as far as the car goes, I'm afraid I have to buy the car in cash. But I don' want to spend my cash on a piece of junk which will devaluate by half as soon as it rolls out of the dealership. I'd rather save up my cash for a down payment for a car that I really want.
        Anyway, thanx man.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed