X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming to the country legally has 2 parts:

(1) The alien entered legally.

(2) The alien did not attempt to use a non-immigrant visa with immigrant intent.

Comment

Daryna,

It depends on whether you have a copy of your visa or a copy of an actual INS admission stamp. If all you have is a copy of your visa your first step should be to file an I-102 to attempt to get a duplicate copy of the I-94 showing you entered legally and you can file an I-130 while you are waiting as well. If you have a copy of an INS admission stamp showing you were admitted into this country then you can file an I-130 & I-485 with your local CIS office.

Comment

i have both. i just don't know how to start and who has to file what

Comment

I'm not sure why you said you did not have documents, but nonetheless, here are the links to the I-130 and the I-485, which should be filed. Instructions are available.

Your spouse can file the I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) concurrently with the I-485.

http://www.ilw.com/immigrants/forms/i-130fillable.pdf

http://uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/i-485.htm#fba

Comment

By far this thread is the most entertaining and interesting, if you know what I mean.

In my case I did not file my I-130, like 7 months after marriage to the USC spouse. I/we were Procrastinators. But again, I was still legal[H1-B], so I was'nt worried.

Anyways, goodluck to you daryna1027.

Comment

waiting is better because you skip CPR. I wish someone had told me. I rushed to file and got CPR now its taking forever to get conditions removed at TSC. Dam n it I applied to remove conditions in Oct 2003 and its almost going to December 2004.

I would advice anyone NOT to file ASAP after marriage. Wait like a year then file, unless you have no status and need to work or get something else done.

Comment

well i do need to work... i didn't marry in to money so we both have to work hard to pay bills and i have my son to take care of.

Comment

And if someone waits longer than 180 days to file AOS (assuming they are not in status) then they would be ineligible for advance parole. Despite the wait associated with I-751s I don't think I'd advocate waiting to file.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation