X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oath ceremony--NY

Dear all,

A friend of mine received a notification to attend his oath ceremony in New York city next Friday. He just had his naturalization interview a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the situation. He is traveling abroad in Mid-March. Is he better off getting his ceremony postponed (anyone have experience/information in doing that--do they postpone it indefinitely?). Or should he risk getting his U.S. passport within a week after the ceremony (that would be the available time before he leaves)?

I told him that i'd post a query here on his behalf, and some helpful person would respond.

Thanks, sam!

Dear all,

A friend of mine received a notification to attend his oath ceremony in New York city next Friday. He just had his naturalization interview a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the situation. He is traveling abroad in Mid-March. Is he better off getting his ceremony postponed (anyone have experience/information in doing that--do they postpone it indefinitely?). Or should he risk getting his U.S. passport within a week after the ceremony (that would be the available time before he leaves)?

I told him that i'd post a query here on his behalf, and some helpful person would respond.

Thanks, sam!

Comment

He can get the passport same day by paying extra fee. Visit this link for more details.

http://travel.state.gov/ppt_ny.html

Comment

Sam Saldanah:
        Tak is right; however without proof of Travel like ticket they won't give you passport on the same day. I am sure you know that by now.
        Number for Emergency US Passport 212- 206-3500

Comment

Once you are called for oath taking ceremony, you should attend. The ceremony will be on Friday the 5th, and it will take about two hours. Once he get his Naturalization Certificate he can apply for his US Passport. Please refer to www.state.gov for passport details. Now mid-March that will be March 16, 2004. "DO NOT POSTPONED THE CEREMONY"
          your file will be sent back to NVC to put in line again. It happened to few guys in past.

Comment

Folks,

Need your advice. My friend had already sent a letter to the immigration dept (26 fed plaza?) requesting postponement of his oath ceremony date.

Should he still go ahead and attend the ceremony (he has a copy of the notice for oath with him apparently), or should he now just bide his time and wait?

Has anyone had experience requesting for postponement of naturalization oath ceremony? When you say he will be put back in the NVC queue, what timeframe are we talking about?

Thank you!

Comment

Sam,
              I wish he would have gone for oath ceremony because I was at oath ceremony in Brooklyn court yesterday. Finished everything within 4 hours, I was out at 12 PM and then he would have call that number and schedule appointment. We were told by Department of homeland security officer that if you need passport within the day call that number and get an appointment. But travel ticket is necessary.
              However I know this is too late but sharing my experience.

I think he should appear for Oath and let officer know before he starts with paper work like collecting N-445 with his answers on the back. However this is my personal opinion and I could be wrong about it.

Comment

Dear all,

Thank you for your responses. Two questions remain:

1) Does anyone have experience with rescheduling? Are we talking about 1-2 months wait or significantly more? The San Fran office site says that the rescheduling will be within 60 days. But not sure if NY is the same? Aparently my friend sent the notice n-445 back to the local office in NY (not the national center).

2) Is he allowed to travel abroad between the interview and the oath? The n-445 apparently asks if you have traveled -- yes/no? Is traveling prohibited in that period, or it the qs. just intended to see if it exceeded 6 mths?

Thank you all!

Comment

You must be out of your mind. No one can say how long it will take, it all depends upon the BCIS, Once the oath is taken Gods knows where the file gos 85% applicants are waiting for oath of allegiance, beside daily filings.

How long he had been a residence alien of US?

Comment

He has been a green card holder for 8 years, i think.

Comment

Are you advising him to go ahead and get the oath done with the copy of his notice of oath? Meanwhile, he has requested postponing in a letter. Or would that add to the confusion?

Comment

sab is right.....you must be out of your mind. CIS never reschedules an interview in 1-2 months! LOL! The thinking is if it wasn't important enough for you to attend in the first place back to the bottom of the pile you go. They'll get around to it.....eventually. I'd say your friend should take his chances...send another letter and go to the ceremony.

Comment

Dear all,

Based on your advice he is going to take a chance and go to the ceremony. He is not planning on writing a letter at this stage (since, if he is not admitted for this ceremony, he does not want to risk not being rescheduled per his original letter request). Please let us know if you have an other thoughts.

By the way, is there someplace where he can talk to a bcis official at the ceremony before the event begins? Like a resolution desk?

Thanks, sam
                          ---

Comment

By the time letter arrived at BCIS and they put in the file go and see the Officer, and request him that you have changed the plans. Now you are ready for the Oath. finish it off. No more BCIS> relax, file your tax thats all you have to do. be a good citizen.

Comment

Dear All,

Thank you for the advice. My friend got his ceremony done yesterday. I was planning on going with him, but couldn't. It seemed like the INS had not received his letter for postponement yet. So his certificate was there in the bunch. Maybe the INS will now receive his letter and try to "reschedule"?!!

Anyway, he is also getting his passport done--it is a little touch and go. He is going through a private visa/pp service--they do it in 3-4 days for a $100 fee (the NY emergency services did not have an appointment until next thursday apparently).

sam
                              ---

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs