X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Aguila

Aguila,
    After the 10 years green card is granted, is there any problem with the divorce if the USC spouse doesn't report anything to ICE?

Also doesn't make a difference who files for the divorce?

Thanks

Aguila,
    After the 10 years green card is granted, is there any problem with the divorce if the USC spouse doesn't report anything to ICE?

Also doesn't make a difference who files for the divorce?

Thanks

Comment

Injoy,

USCIS can always start to investigate if they believe there was something fraudulent in the process. Usually they start investigations if a USC spouse provides with something tangible that the alien entered into the marriage to gain only an immigration benefit.

It doesn't make a difference who files for divorce at all. You have the right to start a divorce proceeding if you are no longer happy with your marriage.

Did you get your plastic green card yet? If you are considering filing for divorce I would suggest you [just to be safe] to file it 6 months after your I-751 approval date.

Comment

Sure Aguila;
        Don't try to work out differences and both grow as human beings, if your not happy with your marriage, just get a divorce. What committment. What devotion. Marriage is so sacred to you isn't it.

Comment

Michael,
          Is this man your relative? Remove the gap between the s and ex and go to this link:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/11/16/s ex.for.rent.ap/index.html

Comment

Aguila,
            She is filing for divorce, I guess there is nothing I can do about it at this point, I don't think she will report that to the USCIS as we are still on good terms.

Do you think I should get the divorce decree through a lawyer's office for any future reference?

I received my plastic 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Why not ask her to discuss it with you? Thats what a legitimate marriage would have happen.

Comment

Michael:

I know Injoy situation with more details than you do as well as I know that he had tried to workout with his wife his marital problems but they haven't come to an agreement. Life continues and both must move on their own. Sometimes in life things work like that.

Injoy:

Make sure you are not screwed on the divorce with alimony and separation of assets. If I were you and can afford it I will hire a divorce attorney to make sure you won't be financially hurt. Adittionaly pay full atention to the divorce complaint, make sure you know which one is the ground for divorce she is using and if it is something that is just a plain lie defend yourself because you never want to leave a bad public record sitting around that could come to hunt later in your life.

You should be fine, just make sure you apply for citizenship when you become eligible under the 5 year rule and then you will be safe.

Comment

Aguila,
                  I don't think we both have a problem with our financial situation as we were separated for a few months, she is not that kind of materiallistic person neither am I. Thank you for openning my eyes on the grounds thing, I would have signed the divorce papers without even looking into them.

Michael,
                  Yes, I did much more than enough, simply nothing worked, and the only thing I can do is to move on.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation