X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-1 visa 2 year residency requirement

Hello,

I am a doctoral student with a J-1 visa which comes with the 2 year residency requirement. I got a J-1 visa because I received Fulbright scholarship for my Masters degree (2000-2002). After finishing up my Masters degree, I decided to stay and pursue a doctorate degree (which isn't financially supported by Fulbright btw). During the past five years I've been in and out of the States visiting my home country. I was wondering if anyone knew if the days I spent in my home country during summer and holidays will count toward the 2 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,G

Hello,

I am a doctoral student with a J-1 visa which comes with the 2 year residency requirement. I got a J-1 visa because I received Fulbright scholarship for my Masters degree (2000-2002). After finishing up my Masters degree, I decided to stay and pursue a doctorate degree (which isn't financially supported by Fulbright btw). During the past five years I've been in and out of the States visiting my home country. I was wondering if anyone knew if the days I spent in my home country during summer and holidays will count toward the 2 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,G

Comment

Thank you davdah! My school issued a new IAP66 and I got a new J-1 for my doctoral program, so hopefully the days I spent in my home country counts as you said.

I actually am a bit puzzled why the school has given me a new J-1 visa for my Doctoral program instead of the F-1 since Fulbright only supports for one degree and that was for my Masters. They said it was because of the two year rule and they had to make sure that it shows on the record (my current J-1 document says I'm subject to 212(e)). Do you think that may cause a problem later? Should I get an attorney to help me?

Thanks again, G

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed