Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change of status HELP!!!!!

The purpose of this message is in regards to my wife's current immigration situation.

My wife entered the US in February 2005 with a K1 Visa. Within 90 days we were married and in March we sent in her I-485 Change of Status along with an application for Advanced Parole (AP), I-131. The reason for my wife's wanting an AP was explained in a letter to Immigration. It basically stated that she would like an AP to accompany her husband, who is an elementary school teacher, while he performs an 8 month contract position in Japan. In addition, the letter stated that my wife's grandmother was a recovering cancer patient and it would be nice to see her if she could. Immigration received our applications and my wife's AP was approved for one year with multiple entries.

During these eight months away we knew that we might have to fly back for our Green Card Interview and we made sure that a close relative is taking care of our mail at our home address in the United States so we don't miss anything sent to us. Last week I was informed that we received my wife's I-485 at our home in the US. It was accepted with no interview. We also received the actual Permanent Resident Card (CF-1) in the mail. This is confusing to me because I am not sure what to do to re-enter the US because my wife's status changed while "out of" the US. Should we have our Permanent Resident Card mailed to us overseas? Can we just use our re-entry permit that was granted to her? What line should my wife stand in at the airport?

Sorry but I have just one more question. I am sure I will need to ask a tax consultant about but I will ask anyways. The school I work at needed some help so my wife decided to work with me at the same school. Since my wife's CF-1 says her residency began on Dec. 3, 2005, does this mean we need to file taxes for her from December 3, 2005 till the end of the tax year? If so she will be double taxed because I work in her home country, and because she is still a citizen of that country she needs to pay taxes while she is here with me.

It is all so confusing but I want to do the right thing. Thanks for reading and any advice would be great. I would call the USCIS myself but in the past I have had a half-half experience in speaking with them. Sometimes they can answer me, sometimes they can't, sometimes I will call back and ask the same question to receive a different answer than I received just 30 min. before, and sometimes they are very kind. Basically they make me too anxious.

Thanks...Sincerely,
    Anthony

The purpose of this message is in regards to my wife's current immigration situation.

My wife entered the US in February 2005 with a K1 Visa. Within 90 days we were married and in March we sent in her I-485 Change of Status along with an application for Advanced Parole (AP), I-131. The reason for my wife's wanting an AP was explained in a letter to Immigration. It basically stated that she would like an AP to accompany her husband, who is an elementary school teacher, while he performs an 8 month contract position in Japan. In addition, the letter stated that my wife's grandmother was a recovering cancer patient and it would be nice to see her if she could. Immigration received our applications and my wife's AP was approved for one year with multiple entries.

During these eight months away we knew that we might have to fly back for our Green Card Interview and we made sure that a close relative is taking care of our mail at our home address in the United States so we don't miss anything sent to us. Last week I was informed that we received my wife's I-485 at our home in the US. It was accepted with no interview. We also received the actual Permanent Resident Card (CF-1) in the mail. This is confusing to me because I am not sure what to do to re-enter the US because my wife's status changed while "out of" the US. Should we have our Permanent Resident Card mailed to us overseas? Can we just use our re-entry permit that was granted to her? What line should my wife stand in at the airport?

Sorry but I have just one more question. I am sure I will need to ask a tax consultant about but I will ask anyways. The school I work at needed some help so my wife decided to work with me at the same school. Since my wife's CF-1 says her residency began on Dec. 3, 2005, does this mean we need to file taxes for her from December 3, 2005 till the end of the tax year? If so she will be double taxed because I work in her home country, and because she is still a citizen of that country she needs to pay taxes while she is here with me.

It is all so confusing but I want to do the right thing. Thanks for reading and any advice would be great. I would call the USCIS myself but in the past I have had a half-half experience in speaking with them. Sometimes they can answer me, sometimes they can't, sometimes I will call back and ask the same question to receive a different answer than I received just 30 min. before, and sometimes they are very kind. Basically they make me too anxious.

Thanks...Sincerely,
    Anthony

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs