Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is going "postal" limited to the Post Office?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is going "postal" limited to the Post Office?

People wonder why it was that post offices around the country went through and still are going through, periods of heightend workplace violence.

I think the answer is clear: The post office is transitioning from a govt entity to a private sector entity and there are major differences between the two models. These differences are especially apparent with regard to how employees function and are treated.

Under a govt based model, the employee is first. Indeed one only needs to look at the generous benefits and unbelieveable level of job security they enjoy. It goes ****her though in that under the govt model employees operate rather autonomously. A supervisor is quite handicapped with regard to what they may and may not do when it comes to employee discipline.

The private sector model the customer and profits come first. The employee has fewer rights than the customer, and often people are hired under an "at will" employment law. This means they can be fired with or without cause for any reason.

It think the violence in the post office was caused by the realization of postal workers that they did indeed have to answer to someone.

I bring this up in this forum as I wonder what will happen as USCIS moves to a more profitable model. One not necessarily like the privat sector post office, but one that is definately more customer service oriented. I don't think the result will necessarily be work place violence BUT it may be a more passive aggressive attitude toward the alien applicant.

The irony is that a move toward a private sector customer service model may result in the opposite of what is initially intended.

People wonder why it was that post offices around the country went through and still are going through, periods of heightend workplace violence.

I think the answer is clear: The post office is transitioning from a govt entity to a private sector entity and there are major differences between the two models. These differences are especially apparent with regard to how employees function and are treated.

Under a govt based model, the employee is first. Indeed one only needs to look at the generous benefits and unbelieveable level of job security they enjoy. It goes ****her though in that under the govt model employees operate rather autonomously. A supervisor is quite handicapped with regard to what they may and may not do when it comes to employee discipline.

The private sector model the customer and profits come first. The employee has fewer rights than the customer, and often people are hired under an "at will" employment law. This means they can be fired with or without cause for any reason.

It think the violence in the post office was caused by the realization of postal workers that they did indeed have to answer to someone.

I bring this up in this forum as I wonder what will happen as USCIS moves to a more profitable model. One not necessarily like the privat sector post office, but one that is definately more customer service oriented. I don't think the result will necessarily be work place violence BUT it may be a more passive aggressive attitude toward the alien applicant.

The irony is that a move toward a private sector customer service model may result in the opposite of what is initially intended.

Comment

I see why you go around posting rubish...no one posts on ur topic!
      *** HOLE!

Comment

You can't post a response to this topic because you lack the education to understand the subject. Guess I hit a nerve when I called you a self absorbed little snot.

Comment

Take a look at what happened when INS used contractors to process applications. In order to meet performance objectives, the (private sector) contractors dumped thousands of applications, including source documents, into the trash. When "profit" is the ultimate objective (and it is, for the companies taking on these tasks) then customer service easily suffers. It already is in the private sector. Why do you think consumer confidence is low despite our supposedly great economy? People worry about losing jobs when they see thousands upon thousands of layoffs

Comment

Yes but the move to private contrators did not involve "re conditioning" a bureaucrat. The contractors were private hires from the beginning. Low wages and low expectations.

What happended at the post office was quite different. I think the private contractor "experiment" would have been more sucessful had they brought them in at a higher wage with a higher education requirement.

Comment

Take a look at what happened when INS used contractors to process applications. In order to meet performance objectives, the (private sector) contractors dumped thousands of applications, including source documents, into the trash. When "profit" is the ultimate objective (and it is, for the companies taking on these tasks) then customer service easily suffers. It already is in the private sector. Why do you think consumer confidence is low despite our supposedly great economy? People worry about losing jobs when they see thousands upon thousands of layoffs
              Aliba,
              The IrS has never used contractors to help with processing tax returns. They have used contractors in mailing out forms, modernizing the workforce, and even answering tax law questions. We are now using contractors to help collect the debts that current proceedures, based on Congress's intent, as currently not collectible. On top of that, RRA 98, Restructure and Reform Act of 1998, gutted a lot of IRS strength during those so=called hearings.
              "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Sugarpuff,
                What makes you think that USCIS is going to be a quasi-governmental agency, much less than any other agency? The proceedures, the regulations, and the funding comes from Congress who in turn micromanage the agency to the inth degree. The same goes with every other agency that Congress micromanages. The more appropiate question is when is congress going to cave to the more profitable business model? That answer will be no since it is not in their best interests nor the special interest groups that sponsor them in the first place.
                "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

you would also go crazy if all you did was stand behind a counter and l i c k stamps all day!

Comment

Hudson,

You could have said the same thing about the post office 25 years ago. The bottom line is was and always will be MONEY. Govt can not continue operating the way they are, they have to cut back or change to a more profitable operating model.

In my initial post I was just speculating about what would happen when SOMEONE, ANYONE, finally attacks the true enemy of the people :bureaucracy.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation