Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1A to US Citizen

Hi there. My employer is applying for an L1A visa for me. Once I get down to US (from Canada) should I apply for permanent residence status or Green card right away? My mother is permanent resident and my father is now US citizen after his p/r status. I'm just wondering what is the quickest/surest way to get to be a permanent us citizen as I want to stay in US forever. Any help would be greatly appreicated

Hi there. My employer is applying for an L1A visa for me. Once I get down to US (from Canada) should I apply for permanent residence status or Green card right away? My mother is permanent resident and my father is now US citizen after his p/r status. I'm just wondering what is the quickest/surest way to get to be a permanent us citizen as I want to stay in US forever. Any help would be greatly appreicated

Comment

Hi Jayp,

L1A is non-immigrant visa.

There is no quick way to obtain the US citizenship. First you have to be a permanent resident for 3 ( if GC obtained through marriage to USC) or 5 years (everything else). Luckily you have several options. You can be sponsored for permanent residency by:
      - your father
      - your mother (if you are not married)
      - an US company (employment based)
      - USC spouse
      They all take years to be completed.

To see which options would work the best for you, let us know your marital status. I assume you are over 21 years of age, and have some special skills... Have you been to the States before? Any visa overstay? Illegal work?

Comment

You will have to maintain L1 for 1 year. Then after 1 year, when you apply to renee your L1 again , and IF it gets approved, you can apply for Green Card. Then after 5 years you can apply for Citizenship.

Getting the L1 renewed for the 2nd time isnt as easy as the 1st time.

Monu.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed