Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you sponsored a lazy person?

Assuming that I sponsored (I864) a 'lazy person' who is not trying hard enough to become self-sufficient: can he legally demand that I spend more than the corresponding poverty level ammount for this person in my household?

Assuming that I sponsored (I864) a 'lazy person' who is not trying hard enough to become self-sufficient: can he legally demand that I spend more than the corresponding poverty level ammount for this person in my household?

Comment

In brief:

Purpose of I-864 (as I understand) is to prevent the alien from becoming a publc charge (applying for/recieving a welfare/foodstamps/medicare and other Federal/State means tested benefit).

Therefore, first the 'lazy person' would have to go and apply for (and be otherwise bona fide eligible) to recieve those benefits.

The State (before granting those benefits to anyone who is eligible under 1996 imm. reform act) has to determine that there aren't any jobs he could qualify for (one's being 'lazy' or not doesn't count).

It's at this point that you could be forced to meet obligations under I-864 (or, if State goes ahead and grants benefits, it may sue you to repay costs).

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation