Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizenship: When to Apply

I am married to US Citizen. I have permanent Green Card without conditions for 2 years. Problem is BCIS website says apply 2 years and 9 months after obtaining Green Card( technically 3 years). I spoke to an immigration lawyer who advised it is only 2 years and I could apply through them immediately. Anyone know whether this is a change of law or the lawyer just wants my money. Actually I downloaded the forms and they are quite easy an d I will do it myself. Can someone who has been through process or knows tell me the right answer.
    I have been able to get through to the toll free number as the waiting times are outrageous. thanks for help

I am married to US Citizen. I have permanent Green Card without conditions for 2 years. Problem is BCIS website says apply 2 years and 9 months after obtaining Green Card( technically 3 years). I spoke to an immigration lawyer who advised it is only 2 years and I could apply through them immediately. Anyone know whether this is a change of law or the lawyer just wants my money. Actually I downloaded the forms and they are quite easy an d I will do it myself. Can someone who has been through process or knows tell me the right answer.
    I have been able to get through to the toll free number as the waiting times are outrageous. thanks for help

Comment

Technically, you are eligible to apply 2 yrs and 9 months after receiving permanent residency (when you first received conditional status). Since you've had your LPR (without conditions) for 2 years, if you received your conditional green card nine or more months before that, you are eligible to file now.
      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

thanks. I actually got a Permanent Green Card the first time I went for interview. I had been married for 23 months so the Officer gave me a break and said he did not want to bother me with having to come again and remove conditons since I was almost married for 2 years. I hope this helps. So how much time do I need after the day the Permanent Green Card for 10 years was issued. thanks for help again

Comment

2 years 9 month from that date.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs