Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do derivatives have to file I485A and pay 1000 penalty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do derivatives have to file I485A and pay 1000 penalty?

Okay the scenario is such:

My aunt (US citizen) sponsor my father using the I-130. However, our whole family overstay a B-2 visa. Visa is now available to my father, and he will have to file the I-485 and also take advantage of the 245i and pay the $1000 penalty for overstaying. My mother and I (under 21 and unmarried) are the derivative of my father, and we both have to file a I-485 respectively, correct? However, do we both have to file a I-485A and pay 1000 dollars each again? Or my father paying that penalty will suffice?

I tried to clear it up at the USCIS site but to no avail, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Okay the scenario is such:

My aunt (US citizen) sponsor my father using the I-130. However, our whole family overstay a B-2 visa. Visa is now available to my father, and he will have to file the I-485 and also take advantage of the 245i and pay the $1000 penalty for overstaying. My mother and I (under 21 and unmarried) are the derivative of my father, and we both have to file a I-485 respectively, correct? However, do we both have to file a I-485A and pay 1000 dollars each again? Or my father paying that penalty will suffice?

I tried to clear it up at the USCIS site but to no avail, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

HazeyDaze:

If ur father's petition was filed on or before April 30, 2001 & you guys were physically present in the U.S. on December 21st, 2000... then he is grandfathered under 245(i) & I assume that is the case with you guys, right?
      I am not sure about the separate fees but here is the link that might help you:

http://www.hooyou.com/245i/example.html

Good Luck!

Comment

Plz chk out the following links as well reg. the $1000 penalty for derivatives...

http://www.immigrationlinks.com/disc...ril820020732pm

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10977

Comment

Hazeydaze!
          This is confirmed with my attorney.
          You and your mom must pay $1000 fee separately and you both must submit I-485 supplement A in order to adjust status under 245i.

Comment

I thought so too when I read the only when you are a child under 17, just to make sure and to hope otherwise. Anyways, thank you all for all the help and advice. I appreciate it.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation