Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delay in receiving Reentry Permit

I have a valid GC and applied in April 2007 for a rentry permit and departed from the US. My wife applied a month later and also left the US in June 2007. Her Form I-131 was received about a month ago, but mine has yet to come. I called the USCIS help line and was told that my file was "open"-still to be processed, and subsequently sent a letter to the Nebraska center requesting action. The website says that applications dated June 13th are now being processed. I am now getting a bit anxious since there is just 6 weeks left for the 12 month period to expire and havent heard anything yet. What can I now do to get this expedited?
    Thanks

One may be even denied re-entry permit. Since you don't know the outcome yet,and may not find out in the next couple of weeks regardless of who you call or write to, the safest thing would be to return to the USA and spend a few weeks (hopefuly it is not too late and you have some ties to the USA to show). Don't wait.

Comment

HI I am in a similar situation with the exception that I need to apply for a re-entry permit. Talking to a highly accredited Immigration lawyer in the UK, she has said that as long as you hold a receipt that you applied for it you have an invaluable justification.

Without being an attorney I strongly recommend you to stick to Aneri's suggestion. Still don't forget the receipt that you sent it!

Aneri, on the basis of which situations can you be denied a re-entry permit?
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by gjo1314:
        I have a valid GC and applied in April 2007 for a rentry permit and departed from the US. My wife applied a month later and also left the US in June 2007. Her Form I-131 was received about a month ago, but mine has yet to come. I called the USCIS help line and was told that my file was "open"-still to be processed, and subsequently sent a letter to the Nebraska center requesting action. The website says that applications dated June 13th are now being processed. I am now getting a bit anxious since there is just 6 weeks left for the 12 month period to expire and havent heard anything yet. What can I now do to get this expedited?
        Thanks
        You don't need a re-entry permit if returning to the USA in less than a year. Re-entry permits are required for absences from the USA of between 1-2 years. Except if your conditional green card would expire and then the re-entry permit is valid until that time and no longer.

Also, how did you come to leave the USA before receipt of the permits. My understanding is that an alien must acquire the permit prior to leaving the USA.

Comment

Denials in re-entry permits, I suspect, are that the alien has already departed the USA. A permit must be applied for and acquired prior to departure. Of course, holding a re-entry permit does not guarantee an alien re-entry. One would still have to be processed by a CBP and determined admissible and also it must not have been determined by USCIS that the alien has abandoned residency.
          Originally posted by World Citizen:
          HI I am in a similar situation with the exception that I need to apply for a re-entry permit. Talking to a highly accredited Immigration lawyer in the UK, she has said that as long as you hold a receipt that you applied for it you have an invaluable justification.

Without being an attorney I strongly recommend you to stick to Aneri's suggestion. Still don't forget the receipt that you sent it!

Aneri, on the basis of which situations can you be denied a re-entry permit?
          Thanks

Comment

Thanks all for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by swissnut:
              Denials in re-entry permits, I suspect, are that the alien has already departed the USA. A permit must be applied for and acquired prior to departure. Of course, holding a re-entry permit does not guarantee an alien re-entry. One would still have to be processed by a CBP and determined admissible and also it must not have been determined by USCIS that the alien has abandoned residency.
              One must be in the USA to apply for a re-entry permit. It is not required to have it in hands before leaving. Permit can be sent to foreign address by the way of US Embassy.

If one has spent a lot of time outside the USA, re-entry permit may be denied or limitied to 1 year, 6 months... Other reason is if something that would GC holder make inadmissible comes to USCIS attention.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation