Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Law Question-TPS

I'm looking for advice for my boyfriend about changing his immigration status. He came here illegally in 1996 from El Salvador and was given TPS in 2001. In 2009 he sought legal advice from the American Immigrants Federation. They suggested that in order for him to ever be able to change his status, he would have to go to El Salvador and enter the US again legally. With their help he was able to get the proper parole document and he went back to his country for a few days and reentered the US at the airport, going through immigration and customs and he was able to resume his temporary protected status. The problem is that before he returned to the attorney's office, they were shut down by New York state for "defrauding immigrants with false promises of citizenship, engaging in the unauthorized practice of law, and illegally charging exorbitant fees for services."
    http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_cen...0/apr/apr14a_10.html
    I have two questions for anyone who can help. First, was this organization correct in telling him that being paroled into the US will make him eligible to apply for permanent resident status? Second, we plan on getting married in the next year and I'm a US citizen. If after we are married and I sponsor him will he be able to change his status without returning to El Salvador again? I know it's a bit of a complicated situation but I'd appreciate anyone who has any advice.

I'm looking for advice for my boyfriend about changing his immigration status. He came here illegally in 1996 from El Salvador and was given TPS in 2001. In 2009 he sought legal advice from the American Immigrants Federation. They suggested that in order for him to ever be able to change his status, he would have to go to El Salvador and enter the US again legally. With their help he was able to get the proper parole document and he went back to his country for a few days and reentered the US at the airport, going through immigration and customs and he was able to resume his temporary protected status. The problem is that before he returned to the attorney's office, they were shut down by New York state for "defrauding immigrants with false promises of citizenship, engaging in the unauthorized practice of law, and illegally charging exorbitant fees for services."
    http://www.ag.ny.gov/media_cen...0/apr/apr14a_10.html
    I have two questions for anyone who can help. First, was this organization correct in telling him that being paroled into the US will make him eligible to apply for permanent resident status? Second, we plan on getting married in the next year and I'm a US citizen. If after we are married and I sponsor him will he be able to change his status without returning to El Salvador again? I know it's a bit of a complicated situation but I'd appreciate anyone who has any advice.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation