X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California Certificate of Eligibility to Marry

Hi,

I plan on marrying a Chinese Citizen, in China, later this month. We beleive I need a certificate of single status from the Chinese consulate. I prepared a notarized affadavit but don't know the next step.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially contact information

Thanks!
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Hi,

I plan on marrying a Chinese Citizen, in China, later this month. We beleive I need a certificate of single status from the Chinese consulate. I prepared a notarized affadavit but don't know the next step.

I'd appreciate any advice, especially contact information

Thanks!
    Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

Hi WolfRhan,

Welcome to the ILW.

Congrats on your forthcoming marriage.

I don't know the next step in your case - I'm sure the old-timers can help you out.

Good luck.
      Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

Do not marry her in China. It will be much easier and faster to bring her in on a fiance visa (K-1) and then marry here

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SonofMichael:
          Do not marry her in China. It will be much easier and faster to bring her in on a fiance visa (K-1) and then marry here </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          For once SOM is right!

Marrying her in China will pose a risk. 1) If you return and file an I-130 for her, it takes a long, LONG time (over 1 year for me and Aroha - and she's from New Zealand!). 2) If you go through Direct Consular Filing in China before you come back here, you run the risk of her not being accepted for the short length of marriage.

Your best bet is an I-129F and marry her here in the US.
          --------------------
          "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I am always 100% right . Never question me !

Comment

Thanks for the advice !

Here's the thing, though. I'm not a US citizen either, I have Green Card and citizenship application going through.

So, based on earlier messages on this board the plan is to apply for I-130 as Legal Resident and convert it over when I get Citizenship. From what I've seen I-129 is citizen only?

Anyway I'd like to get the single status thing so I have it in hand.

Thanks
              Wolf. Right Here and Now

Comment

Hmph...

How long until you gain citizenship?
                --------------------
                "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. " - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

WolfRhan's original thread is here.

You're right, Wolf. You can't apply to adjust your partner's status if you're a GC holder, but that's not your question, is it?

I can't help you with that one. Can your partner or you call the Chinese Consulate and find out?
                  The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WolfRhan:
                    We beleive I need a certificate of single status from the Chinese consulate. I prepared a notarized affadavit but don't know the next step. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    You need to find out exactly what they want in that province of China.
                    You can get some kind of Certificate of your status from Registry of Briths, Deaths and Marriages.. and I assume you'll need that from your home country; and maybe USA as well. That paper has to authenticated by either Chinese consulate in the country of issuance, or that country's Consulate in China... it all depends what the local authorities want.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation