B-2 Visa and Travel outside of the U.S.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-2 Visa and Travel outside of the U.S.

My sister in-law is here visiting us and we are planning a trip to Montreal to visit my relatives sometime early next month. However, I had some friends tell me that it isn't possible. Rather, she would be stopped at the Canadian border. I believe it is allowable if her documents are in order as I vaguely remember reading something in the regulations on same.

Please advise.

My sister in-law is here visiting us and we are planning a trip to Montreal to visit my relatives sometime early next month. However, I had some friends tell me that it isn't possible. Rather, she would be stopped at the Canadian border. I believe it is allowable if her documents are in order as I vaguely remember reading something in the regulations on same.

Please advise.

Comment

If she has a multiple entry B2 Visa then she can come back to US. But she won't enter Canada with out a Visa unless she belongs to a VWP country with Canada. It is a good Idea to contact Canadian High Commission.

Comment

yes, check the requirements from the Canadian side.
        As for coming back, if it is a short trip (wan't stay in Montreal for months), she will most likely be admitted into the USA for the rest of her original time of authorised stay.

If she was admitted for 90 days, and you plan a trip at the 85th for a week, she may have problem coming back and getting another 90 day stay.

If she travels after being here 20 days, stay in Canada 10 days, she'll be allowed to re-enter for the remaining 60 days.

Comment

I want to thank both reponders as I value the information. It is clear to me now that one should not assume anything, especially when it pertains to immigration.

Not sure what a VWP country means. Does it have to do with being a mewmber of the Crown? (Great Britian) If so, she is not of a VWP country. I will check with the Canadian High Commission about a brief stay in Montreal.

We have applied for an extension of stay 3 weeks after she arrived and just prior to the increases of 7/30/07. Hopefully, everything is in order for her extended stay thru 1/14/08.

Comment

Additional info.

Her Visa has an "M" entered under the word "Entries". Does that mean its a multipile
            entry B2 Visa?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dodger5:
              Not sure what a VWP country means.? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

VWP means "Visa Waver Program"(Means one does not need a visato enter the US).
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dodger5:
              Additional info.

Her Visa has an "M" entered under the word "Entries". Does that mean its a multipile
              entry B2 Visa? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"M" Stands for Multiple entries.

Comment

Watch the expiry date of the visa. Sometimes, visa's are only issued for a validity of 1 year etc, this means that the person must leave the USA on the date the visa expired, they then need to re-apply to their local us embassy for a new visa.

Just make sure that when she comes back in to the USA from Canada, that she doesn't say she is intending to stay longer than the visa is valid.

I've had multiple B2 visa's issued, and once you get them - they tend to be pretty easy to get renewed.

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jgoodman72:
                  Watch the expiry date of the visa. Sometimes, visa's are only issued for a validity of 1 year etc, this means that the person must leave the USA on the date the visa expired.[QUOTE]

This is a common misconception. Validity of visa and duration of authorized stay are two different things.

You can enter US at any time during visa validity, even one day before it expires. At the port of entry immigration officer stamps Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record) with the date until which your stay is authorized. This date may be well beyond visa validity. You have to depart the US (or apply for extension or change of status) on or prior to that date.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation