Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Preparation/Questions

As I have announced a few days ago, my USCIS interview has been scheduled. I am rather preoccupied with the thought as to what might go down during said interview. I would appreciate, if people here that happened to go through one would list/speak of their experiences.
    What exactly is it that does go down in these interviews. As an average, how long do they take and what questions might I expect? Is there any way I can prepare myself? I'd be very interested in stuff like that.

Regards,
    Kollerkrot
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

As I have announced a few days ago, my USCIS interview has been scheduled. I am rather preoccupied with the thought as to what might go down during said interview. I would appreciate, if people here that happened to go through one would list/speak of their experiences.
    What exactly is it that does go down in these interviews. As an average, how long do they take and what questions might I expect? Is there any way I can prepare myself? I'd be very interested in stuff like that.

Regards,
    Kollerkrot
    “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

Hi Kollerkrot,

I know you are looking for personal experiences, but in the meantime, I found this link that may be helpful.

http://www.immspec.com/green-card-interview.htm

Hopefully, others here will offer their suggestions too. Take care.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kollerkrot:

Regards,
        Kollerkrot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kollerkrot, what is the interview for? N400, I551 or others...?

Comment

It's an AOS I-485 (245i) interview.

Thank you Proud for sending me that link. It't interesting reading.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kollerkrot:
            It's an AOS I-485 (245i) interview.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> who is a petitioner? parent? spouse? daughter/son?

Comment

It's my daughter petitioning for me. I am very interested in the type of questions that would be asked. Are these interviews kind-of like job interviews?

Does it really matter who is the petitioner?

Comment

I've never gone thru it but I know how it's being conducted. A USC child-alien parent petition interview differs greatly from, say, spousal petition interview. Where in the latter case, the parties have to overcome the burden of proving the bona fides of their relationship, it's already established when the I-130 was approved in a case such as yours.

But based on what I know, there's no objective standard, but rather officers have a subjective free-hand on how questions are being thrown to an alien (to overcome the "beyond doubt" burden) for the immigration benefit being sought.

In your case, what I foresee to be raised are questions about "public charge" because I think you've been undocumented for more than two decades - such as government benefits that you've enjoyed (how you survived?) and related matters, or if you had any sort of "run-ins" with the law before, etc.

Furthermore, questions may be asked about your other previous applications (if any) that have formed part of your overall immigration portfolio in their hands now.

Otherwise, all other issues would be ceremonial in nature as if they just would want you to "touch-base" with the government, you know, after all those years.

Comment

Regards,
                  Kollerkrot </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gather just counting on being honest and open is out of the question. If it is something you have to "prepare" for, it raises some flags.
                  These people stop at Nothing !

Death to IMBRA AND VAWA !

God Bless America and no one else !!!

Comment

I am going to be honest - of course. I have nothing to lie about. I am just wondering how much digging there will be. My story is 23 years long - how long is the interview again?

...and yes I would like to prepare for it, because that is what I want to do. I prepare for job interviews too. What is wrong with preparation?

....and for that matter, I think I am just overly anxious right now because it's been 23 years that I have been waiting for this opportunity. So stop citicizing!!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rough Neighbor:
                      I've never gone thru it but I know how it's being conducted. A USC child-alien parent petition interview differs greatly from, say, spousal petition interview. Where in the latter case, the parties have to overcome the burden of proving the bona fides of their relationship, it's already established when the I-130 was approved in a case such as yours.

But based on what I know, there's no objective standard, but rather officers have a subjective free-hand on how questions are being thrown to an alien (to overcome the "beyond doubt" burden) for the immigration benefit being sought.

In your case, what I foresee to be raised are questions about "public charge" because I think you've been undocumented for more than two decades - such as government benefits that you've enjoyed (how you survived?) and related matters, or if you had any sort of "run-ins" with the law before, etc.

Furthermore, questions may be asked about your other previous applications (if any) that have formed part of your overall immigration portfolio in their hands now.

Otherwise, all other issues would be ceremonial in nature as if they just would want you to "touch-base" with the government, you know, after all those years. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These are the things that I suspect to. However, although I have been here undocumented, I have paid my dues/tax on every Dollar that I have ever earned. There is noone in the world, that can tell me that I have been riding on the Government - OK maybe the public library - as these things are Government supplemented, I think!

Will I be scrutinized?

Comment

Michael, being prepared and knowing what kind of questions you're going to be asked is a far cry from your assumption. My interview is in a week and I'm trying to prepare for it as well, not because I need time to come up with fabricated answers, but because I want to know what to expect to alleviate my own nerves. It's such an important thing, after all.

Kollerkot, I would offer to come back and tell you how it went, but mine is marriage-based and involves no over-staying etc, so the questions will be different. It's also in New Zealand and Consulate/office experiences differ so much.

Try doing a search on http://visajourney.com - I know it's disliked by the more rabid bulldogs around here, but you're more likely to find experiences specific to you over there.
                        The whole of life is but a moment of time. It is our duty, therefore to use it, not to misuse it - Plutarch

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation