Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIVERS LICENCE

Somebody know if there's any city issuing DL for immigrants?

Somebody know if there's any city issuing DL for immigrants?

Comment

if you are legal there is no reason why you cant get a dl from any city.

Comment

The problem is that my cousin is not a legal resident he has a valid ss but not a green card.

Comment

In other words, your cousin is illegal. If he wants a driver license, I'm confident that the authorities in his country of origin will happily supply him with one when he returns home.

Furthermore, cities do not issue driver licenses...that is a state function.

Comment

GIBASMA,

I heard they give it to any one in Maryland.
            Welcome !!! :-)

Comment

You do not need a GC to get a US DL, EAD did it for me.

Comment

I KNOW IN OREGON AND WASHINGTON U ONLY NEED 2 PIECES OF ID THAT'S IT!U DON'T NEED THE gc BUT SOON THEY PROBABLY WILL CHANGE THIS,

Comment

New Mexico also has less stringent criteria.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:
                    In other words, your cousin is illegal. If he wants a driver license, I'm confident that the authorities in his country of origin will happily supply him with one when he returns home.

Furthermore, cities do not issue driver licenses...that is a state function. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                    Well, if he does, then he will be a much safer driver than his American counterparts. Getting a drivers license in some countries il like going to college. It can take up to a year to offically obtain one after one passes every circumstance known on how to handle the conveyence in any situation. Compare that with the US which is only three weeks and some instruction, classroom or otherwise.
                    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GIBASMA:
                      Somebody know if there's any city issuing DL for immigrants? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                      Depending on which state your cousin lives will depend on which documents will need to be presented. Also, he could get a state identification card instead of a drivers license to prove he/she is a resident in that state.
                      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

I don't know of any City issuing DL for immigrants.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
                          [QUOTE]Originally posted by SunDevilUSA:

Furthermore, cities do not issue driver licenses...that is a state function. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                          Well, if he does, then he will be a much safer driver than his American counterparts. Getting a drivers license in some countries il like going to college. It can take up to a year to offically obtain one after one passes every circumstance known on how to handle the conveyence in any situation. Compare that with the US which is only three weeks and some instruction, classroom or otherwise.[/QUOTE

3 weeks?

My timeline was get a provisional license, they gave me 25 rather obvious multiple choice questions.

Then a week later we went for a 5 minute drive around the block.

That was it.

But as far as elsewhere is concerned, it varies. Took me 9 months and 30 odd lessons, but I doubt if that is the case for Mexico.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Theone:
                            3 weeks?

My timeline was get a provisional license, they gave me 25 rather obvious multiple choice questions.

Then a week later we went for a 5 minute drive around the block.

That was it.

But as far as elsewhere is concerned, it varies. Took me 9 months and 30 odd lessons, but I doubt if that is the case for Mexico. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
                            For most Americans, particularly under 18 group, it can take three weeks to obain a drivers license. They do this by going to driving school, which costs several hundred dollars. During that time, they obtain their learners permit and by the end of the training session generally can pass the driving test.

It took my wife two months to go from no drivers license to learners permit to full drivers license.

Theone, I did not see if the cousin was from Mexico or where ever. I did see indication that the cousin came legally, but overstayed. You would note that the cousin has a valid SSN, but nothing else.

Comment

Thanks Hudson,
                              Yes she was here legaly until 2006, that's how she got her SS, but in 2006 her petition was denied and now she appeal that decision but until she hear anything from the appeal she's on the "limbo".Again thanks for your help.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation