X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US children want to come home!

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there has some really great ideas and can help me out.

I am a UK citizen but my children are US citizens (both under 16). Due to the pressure of a bad marriage the children and I ended up back in the UK where we have been quite happy. Now however, we are wanting to go back to TX, especially the girls who, I think, need their father. From what I've learned from the site, the only way back in seems to be either a work visa or a marriage visa. Not being a famous actor, sportsman or brain surgeon, I'm not sure we'd be high on the INS's list of applicants!!

Does anyone have any clues as to whether we should even CONSIDER applying to come back? I would really appreciate any insight anyone has!

Many thanks,

Rachel

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone out there has some really great ideas and can help me out.

I am a UK citizen but my children are US citizens (both under 16). Due to the pressure of a bad marriage the children and I ended up back in the UK where we have been quite happy. Now however, we are wanting to go back to TX, especially the girls who, I think, need their father. From what I've learned from the site, the only way back in seems to be either a work visa or a marriage visa. Not being a famous actor, sportsman or brain surgeon, I'm not sure we'd be high on the INS's list of applicants!!

Does anyone have any clues as to whether we should even CONSIDER applying to come back? I would really appreciate any insight anyone has!

Many thanks,

Rachel

Comment

Did your husband file for a greencard for you when you were in the U.S.?
      Have a nice day

Comment

I believe the diversity lotto disqualifies UK citizens but get infomation on it to find out if that is indeed so as the rules may have changed or if other citizenship and/or nationality rules might apply to you.

Another, I could think of would be an investor's visa, where you'd need to invest in an American business with anywhere from $250,000+ (rural area) to infinite (in a metropolitan area), hire or employ a minimum of 5 U.S. citizens and/or LPRs.

- Look for a job with a firm that also has employement or transfer options to the U.S.

- wait untill your older child reaches the age of 21 at which stage she can sponsor you if she fullfills all the other requirements; the most difficult one might be her ability to file an affadative of support with an adequate income (currently 125% above the poverty line). Good luck!

Comment

Citizens of UK are not eligible for DV visa lottery. U.S. children can come back whenever they wish.

Comment

I know that we don't qualify for a DV and yes, I did have a greencard, only they asked for it back on one of my trips back to Texas.

Thanks for your ideas!

Comment

Why did they ask for your Green card back? As BronzeLady stated, your children can return at any time. If your greencard was taken and you no longer have legal status, you children, may be able to petition once they become of age (however I am not sure of this, somebody help me out with this.)

Comment

They took my greencard back because I had been out of the country for 2 years - therefore they 'assumed' I didn't want to come back. My children can petition when they turn 21 providing they show they make enough money - but even this is iffy. What bothers me is that when I was going through a relationship breakup (all the hurt, anger etc), my immigration status was the LAST thing on my mind!!! It seems very unfair to make assumptions in such a difficult situation and also, at the end of the day, to be penalized because of someone else's actions!

Comment

Was your greencard a 10 year greencard? Were you a Legal Permanent resident, or a conditional one?

Comment

in 5 years they can petition for you. In 2 years, they can leave and move to the US themselves.

You're better off just staying there. People fight tooth and nail over here for green cards. It's a mess. And since you already given it up once -- don't expect the agency to be too swift with your application.

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed