Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Senate Judiciary Committee to Debate Immigration Reform on March 2!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• susie
    replied
    Hi NYC 001

Do you have a name and e-mail address of the chairperson?

Or web link to where I can find this information?

Thanks Sue

Leave a comment:

• ELJEFE
    replied
    given the freedom to come to the US and work legally will allow many immigrants to go back to their countries after the work season without having to worry about paying a 'coyote' to get them back accross that dangerous journey accross the border. For some of them, they will finally be able to step out of the shadows after living most of their lives being worried about their future and lifting that roadblock that has kept many immigrants from advancing in our system. All you anti immigrants and your radical groups will see how all your paranoia was just that.
    PARANOIA!

Leave a comment:

• moemoe
    replied
    If granted guest worker status all these ILLEGALS will become Legal Resident and workers of United States. Hopefully unlike some on this board, they will remember their past and NOT hate immigrants.
    What will SUNDEVIL call them then ? LEGAL MEXICANS ?

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    The guest worker program will be implemented one way or the other. I just hope that the Senate will no construct it into some monstrosity in the style of the adjustment for citizens of Haiti and Nicaragua.
    Most likely the bill will also contain some temporary measures in the style of LIFE, but the extend of those measures is yet to be seen.
    If INA is to be amended, I would expect the Senate to take care of some of the current incomprehensible statutes of INA and the unconstitutional issues of the House bill if such bill is to be considered at all, given the amount of sound legislation already in the Senate for consideration.
    It would seem very strange to pass a very poor piece of legislation, in clear violation of the Constitution when there's other alternatives to be considered.

Leave a comment:

• albatross23
    replied
    You are right..ive also read somewhere that the senate wanted to act very fast on the matter.It's a given that a guest worker program will be added by the senate, then it will be push to the house before the end of the month of march.

Then , from that point on, i heard that the RNC, president Bush and other moderate republicans congressmen, will force the extremist to give up their fights.

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    I would expect some kind of final bill by the end of April, but not any sooner.

Leave a comment:

• albatross23
    replied
    Im surprised that they will start the debate so early and this is great news because the extremist anti-immigrants plans was to delay the process as much as possible and hope that the upcoming elections would cause law-makers to brush immigration under the rug..

Just like a poster suggested, starting the debate on march 2nd, would allow them to get something done and on the floor by march 27th and congress and the senate would have a full month to make compromises and pass the bill so that the president could sign a good immigration bill with a guest worker permit, before the summer.

Leave a comment:

• flexx
    replied
    Ren,

I understand you perfectly well!

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    Oh, the Bill of Rights. But the Constitution is an instrument of law to be considered as a whole.

The U.S. Supreme Court, Bouie v. City of Columbia, 378 U.S. 347 (1964) held: "The State Supreme Court, in giving retroactive application to its new construction of the statute, has deprived petitioners of their right to fair warning of a criminal prohibition, and thus has violated the Due Process Clause..."

... And some people still question the unconstitutionality of the retroactive application of newly enacted statutes of criminal nature.

Leave a comment:

• SunDevilUSA
    replied
    Ren: I realize that you're not very intelligent, and unable to articulately argue your point.

It's disgusting that you play the race card, and truly pathetic. Opposing illegal aliens has nothing to do with either race or ethnicity. Invoking the KKK is sooo old. Personally, I think that it's you who needs to look in the mirror...just try to find one that won't crack :-)

The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States gives me the right to an opinion. I know that you might not be too familiar with such alien concepts as the rule-of-law...most illegal aliens aren't.

I will continue to use the term illegal alien, as that is the correct term...regardless of your attempts to play politically-correct semantic games. Are you an illegal alien?

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    Perhaps the Senate is starting to realize the actual implications of the House bill. This infamous legislation presents no major amendment to INA, only a couple changes are significant. One relates to a loophole provided to gang members and the other the criminalization of unlawful presence.
    The latter would be an offense of criminal nature penalized under 18 U.S.C. This is where things get interesting. Most people believe, or want to believe, that it would be simple to arrest, charge and process any illegal with no proper documentation based on this amendment. However, the rules of criminal procedure as described under 18 U.S.C. would prevent this from happening in a quick and easy way.
    A criminal offense is "committed" when all the elements of the offense are present, completed and executed. But the icing on the cake, United States v. Marion.
    Turning immigration into criminal law can have very surprising consequences.

Leave a comment:

• NYC001
    replied
    El Jefe, es el Jefe.

Leave a comment:

• ELJEFE
    replied
    NYC001- THANKS FOR THE INFO

Leave a comment:

• American_immigrant
    replied
    "I am a permanent resident of the United States"

wow you truly are a piece of ****

Leave a comment:

• Houston
    replied
    If the Senate's HSC takes on the issue now they would have ample time for discussion. So in theory, a bill should be on the floor at least by March 27th when the Senate reconvenes. Not bad timing, we can expect to have a final bill, signed into law by the president by the middle or the end of April.... Maybe that's a little wishful thinking, but who knows?

Leave a comment:

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation