Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does the national customer service # help with?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does the national customer service # help with?

Hello all,
    I tried to call the 1-800 customer service # to find out the address BCIS has on file for me coz I sent letters and AR-11 to update my address but those people have no information about me 'on their computers'.

Can you believe they wanted to collect all my info as if my A-number does not exist at all from my I-797 notice details to my DOB?I asked them kindly to go to h e ll.Thats my first time to call those people and I hate the experience! I was on hold a good 40 minutes,only to get the above BS.

BCIS must be very backward technologically! How can they staff so called 'customer service numbers' then place people who are clueless about their 'customers'? Whats the sense of having that toll free service then?

Anyone had a similar experience?

Hello all,
    I tried to call the 1-800 customer service # to find out the address BCIS has on file for me coz I sent letters and AR-11 to update my address but those people have no information about me 'on their computers'.

Can you believe they wanted to collect all my info as if my A-number does not exist at all from my I-797 notice details to my DOB?I asked them kindly to go to h e ll.Thats my first time to call those people and I hate the experience! I was on hold a good 40 minutes,only to get the above BS.

BCIS must be very backward technologically! How can they staff so called 'customer service numbers' then place people who are clueless about their 'customers'? Whats the sense of having that toll free service then?

Anyone had a similar experience?

Comment

any?

Comment

You are right ... i wanted to inquire about my tranfer notice (i rcvd about 2 weeks ago) and they put me on hold for about 45 minutes and the person was pretty rude and told me to hold for a moment and then he never came back ... but then i called 2 hrs later, stayed on hold for an hr and surprisingly this time the lady was very kind ... took all the info and told me that my local office will send me a letter with the current status of my I-485 ...

I think, whether we like it or not, but this is pretty reasonable toll free service we have compared to the ppl in the local office. You can put the spkr phone on (while on hold) and do whatever you want to in the house and get almost the same answer what you can from waiting in the line, in the local office.
        Just IMHO
        Yousaf

Comment

I strongly recommend calling them at least twice on one inquiry. If your case is just a tiny bit beyond the typical - half the time, you'll get a different answer, I guarantee this. If you do get a different answer, call again, then use your judgment. Yay.

Comment

That is YOUR government at work. Those of you who voted in a Republican administration helped make this possible. The Republicans prefer privatization for the government and staffing the NCSC with contract employees was part of that decision. FYI, they want to make ALL Immigration Officers contract employees. Good luck getting accurate information in the local office if that happens. Ask anyone who knows, they will tell you not to bother to call the NCSC.....it's a waste of time.

Comment

I doubt that Those awaiting a decision from BCIS were able to vote during the last election as they were not American citizen (the situation is still accurate).

Comment

Most of us can't vote - Otherwise we would. Besides, this hasn't changed at all since I started dealing with the INS - long before the Republicans were in charge... So much for that theory...

No - thank the Democrats for instilling a huge beauracratic process that doesn't have a hope of working effeciently...

I agree with the lack of info they provide from that service center. They simply read what is on the forms and can't (or won't) answer any questions of a specific nature or offer advice on 'what to do next'. They simply read the forms and information that all of us can get easier online...

ARQU

Comment

Government privatization is not the issue here.

How about simply providing better training to contract employees OR even simpler, teaching them the mantra "If you don't know for sure, just say that you don't know."

Comment

Vierce,

Immigration officers go to school for 12 weeks to learn the law and THEN get in-house training.....most have been on the job for 10+ years (10 years worth of information). How do you substitute that with contract employees who read off of scripts? It is the contractors responsibility to train their employees. Why should they spend their profit money on intensive training? That's why they have scripts......if situation A pick up script 3, if situation B pick up script 5. Because immigration law isn't complex right?

Comment

so why the increase in filing fees by $55 if services become more inferior instead of superior?

Comment

I just want to add a new angle to this information hunger.

Try calling the embassy/consulates' pay numbers ($1.75 per min) and you'll get even worse service. In our case there was a confusion about submitting the same forms that were already submitted to the NVC that the embassy wanted as well. The file was already at the embassy. All we got was that they "don't have access to the file to check if the forms are there" and to bring the forms "just to be on a safe side". The persons that handle the embassy's "customer service" phone lines have "no access to the case files"?! What kind of information about the case can they provide at $1.75 per minute?! What a rip off.

Comment

I know that the advice line for the London Embassy is in fact based in a call centre up in Scotland. Sometimes you can get helpful people, but they are simply reading off sheets, and often can't provide information to anything but the simplest question. Even booking appointments varies; sometimes it's fine, sometimes they go through a whole list of questions before they will even let you make an appointment. Sometimes they will happily change an appointment time for you if need to, then you call back 2 minutes later and another employee will rudely tell you that it's impossible to change it now and that you're stuck with it. I remember having to call them a few years ago for a personal question in getting an F-1 visa, as my I-20 had only just shown up from the US university and I was meant to be going on a 3 week vacation to the US, then going back to the US to begin school a week later: their only advice: 'I suggest you cancel your vacation,' and then hanging up on me.

And this costs, at the current exchange rate, $2.40 a minute!

Comment

ARQU and vierce- Bronzelady is absolutely correct. This IS an issue of privatization, and it goes back to Republican control of Congress (pre Bush, but same people behind the scenes.) I could go into a long rant about how bad this is, how the overall cost to the taxpayers increases, how the quality of service declines, how the layers of bureaucracy increase, how responsibility is displaced... blood pressure to high, have to stop.

Comment

Bronzelady and Old Man, I agree.

There is only one thing I don't get - why no one tells the contractors to admit when they don't know something for sure? Just a simple example out of numerous ones I could offer: they wasted a good amount of my time by telling me wrong info about procedures in my local immigration office. I ended up going there, waiting in line and having to put up with robotic people's bull**** only to find out I was lied to by the "800" number. I had to go home having achieved nothing.

If only someone could pass on the message to the "800" # people: IF YOU DON'T KNOW FOR SURE, ADMIT IT. DON'T MISLEAD!

That's not that hard, is it?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed