About change of address, please answer?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About change of address, please answer?

How many of you,forgot to change their address when they moved aka updated it with Immigration?

I am a little freaking out now,because when I moved from one apt to another (same address,same zip code,same city,different apt number) I forgot and did not know I would have to do that. Was anyone in a similar situation?
    I mean I eventually did it couple weeks ago and the form does not ask though since when you moved,it just asks you to put in the new address it does not ask,since when you moved.
    So, I mean they have now current address,just a little late.
    Do I need to fear? facing problems because of that? I mean I can not imagine that everyone who moves,thinks of reporting it to the Immigration...especially if you move from one apt door to another.
    Do I need to worry now? Cause I will sent in my I751 apllication, and it aks,if i resided at any other address since becoming a resident and I put down "resided at so and so" meaning my old address.Which is like identical to my new one,just different apt number.
    Anyone? thank you

How many of you,forgot to change their address when they moved aka updated it with Immigration?

I am a little freaking out now,because when I moved from one apt to another (same address,same zip code,same city,different apt number) I forgot and did not know I would have to do that. Was anyone in a similar situation?
    I mean I eventually did it couple weeks ago and the form does not ask though since when you moved,it just asks you to put in the new address it does not ask,since when you moved.
    So, I mean they have now current address,just a little late.
    Do I need to fear? facing problems because of that? I mean I can not imagine that everyone who moves,thinks of reporting it to the Immigration...especially if you move from one apt door to another.
    Do I need to worry now? Cause I will sent in my I751 apllication, and it aks,if i resided at any other address since becoming a resident and I put down "resided at so and so" meaning my old address.Which is like identical to my new one,just different apt number.
    Anyone? thank you

Comment

My wife and I did not move or change our address, but we went through all the trouble you could possibly have. She was applying for permanent residence, I-485.

On April 24, a notice USCIS sent to us was unbeknown to us returned to USCIS as undeliverable. We discovered this on July 10 and called USCIS customer service to correct the problem.

Thinking we'd be getting the notice again soon, we received a notice on July 26 stating that her application was denied due to abandonment. Apparently, the missed notice was to inform us that we had an appointment on July 20. Since we missed that appointment, they denied her application without possibility for appeal.

That's what can go wrong. And we didn't even do anything wrong.

Get your address updated ASAP if you move.

Comment

I know man, when we moved I never thought of immigration or changing address update or anything...I did sent my new address update 2 weeks ago to them, late but I did it.So at least they have everyhting current.
        And I will sent my 751 out in 2 weeks....and till its process and everyhting.Everyhting should be updated fine.

I am so sure, most people forget to update address with the immigration.

Comment

Not most, but some legally present in US people do forget to update their address.
          There could also be an error, whereby one updates the address, but it's never entered into system or entered incorrectly.

Here is an interesting question:

How many of estimated 12 million 'undocumented immigrants' (EWIs and Overstays) update their address with USCIS upon moving from one location to another within US?

[COLOR:BLUE][B]When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault.

One day it will have to be officially admitted that

Comment

wow, good question bro.

And in my case, i truly forgot,but can you blame me? I did not even change location,or city, or town...I moved from one apt to another,in the same complex.
            I am still on the same address,same city,same zip code,same location,just different apt#

I am sure,if I would have moved to a differet city,I would have thought of updating address then u know

Comment

If they updated their address with USCIS, then they wouldn't have been undocumented, would they?

Comment

And in my case, i truly forgot,but can you blame me?
                I don't blame you nor is this any of my business, but you better be advised that your case CAN be DENIED ON MERITS (failure to update address), particularly if you don't update your address and never respond to RFE, don't show up for scheduled interview and etc.
                Whether you move from CA to MA or from one apt. to another within the same complex is irrelevant.

If they updated their address with USCIS, then they wouldn't have been undocumented, would they?
                Yeah, right, they get USC Passport mailed back to them .

[COLOR:BLUE][B]When the creations of a genius collide with the mind of a layman, and produce an empty sound, there is little doubt as to which is at fault.

One day it will have to be officially admitted that

Comment

You seem to not believe me that they would not be undocumented.

Did you mean to say ILLEGAL, rather than undocumented? There's a big difference, and this discussion shows that.

If their current address is on file with USCIS, then they aren't undocumented. They may still be illegally present in the US, but they are not undocumented.

Comment

Undocumented is totally something else,people who are here ILLEGALLY.

I am talking about updating your address change.

But for what its worth,Its fact that many update their address late or forget at all.And I do not recall anyone,that was deported for updating their address on time.Besides, to update your address you sent it to a po box address,which means,you can not get a returne receipt that u sent it in...because u can not sent certified mails with return receipts to BO BOX address...and INS has a history of losing documention...and i am 100% sure,if they lose important forms like adjustment etc etc...they might lose stuff like address changes as well.

Comment

Anyone who is not a citizen of the US must file a notice of change of address to USCIS. You must use form AR-11. According to USCIS, you can be put into removal proceedings for not reporting a change of address...

How Do I Report a Change of Address to the USCIS?

Background
                      Where Can I Find the Law?
                      Who Must Comply?
                      How Do I Report?
                      What Should I Include?
                      Additional Information

Background
                      All non-U.S. citizens (aliens) who are required to be registered are also required to keep the USCIS informed of their current address. This is particularly important when you have filed an application or petition for a benefit under the Immigration and Nationality Act and expect notification of a decision on that application. In addition, the USCIS may need to contact you to provide other issued documents or return original copies of evidence you submitted. It is also mandatory for any alien who has been designated as a "special registrant" under 8 CFR § 264.1(f)(as amended by 67 Federal Register 52585 (August 12, 2002) to inform the USCIS whenever he or she has a change of address, employment or school. The special registrant rule is effective as of September 11, 2002.

In the past, our predecessor, the INS, required every alien in the United States to report his or her address annually, in January. This requirement was eliminated in 1980 and annual reporting is no longer required. However, if you are not a U.S. citizen, the law still requires that you report any change of address change within 10 days of the change.

Where Can I Find The Law?
                      The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) is a law that governs immigration in the United States. For the part of the law concerning reporting of your address and for the penalties if you do not comply, please see INA § 265 and 266. The specific requirements for reporting your change of address are federal regulations found in 8 CFR Part 265 and at 67 Federal Register 52584, 52592 (to be codified at 8 CFR § 264.1(f)(6)(concerning designated special registrants)).

Who Must Comply?
                      All aliens in the United States who are required to be registered under the law (INA § 262 and 261) must keep the USCIS informed of their changes of address. The only aliens exempt from this requirement are diplomats (visa status A), official government representatives to an international organization (visa status G), and certain nonimmigrants who do not possess a visa and who are in the U.S. for fewer than 30 days (INA § 263).

How Do I Report?
                      All aliens changing their address must file Form AR-11 with the USCIS address listed on the form. That address is:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
                      USCIS
                      Change of Address
                      P.O. Box 7134
                      London, KY 40742-7134

For commercial overnight or fast freight services, only:

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
                      USCIS
                      Change of Address
                      1084-I South Laurel Road
                      London, KY 40744
                      USCIS has created an additional procedure and recommends additional notifications for those aliens who are also applicants for benefits. Applicants and Petitioners with pending cases should telephone customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to report their change of address and get the address on the pending application/petition changed. If you are not a U.S. Citizen you will also be required to complete a Form AR-11. If you are not a U.S. citizen and you have a case pending with USCIS you need to do both - call customer service and complete the Form AR-11. The AR-11 is used by non-U.S. citizens to meet the legal requirements of informing USCIS of any change of address. Presently, completing an AR-11 does not update your address on any pending case. Also, while calling customer service updates the address on your pending case, it does not meet the legal requirement of completing an AR-11. Please see Change of Address (found under Contacting Us) on your local office About Us page.

You may choose the method of mailing your Form AR-11. Using certified, registered or receipt mail is not currently a USCIS requirement. However, it is advisable to send the AR-11 with a Return Receipt or some other method (see "Adding Extra Services") that will give you documentation that you did indeed mail the form to the USCIS, in case there should ever be a question.

What Should I Include?
                      For the Form AR-11: Complete the information requested on the form, including present address, last address (most recent only), alien or registration number, country of citizenship, date of birth, and your signature.

You do not need to include temporary addresses as long as you maintain your present address as your permanent residence and continue to receive mail there.

When sending us a change of address, you do not need to include numerous last addresses; only the most recent last address is needed.

Be sure to also indicate in the appropriate block on the AR-11 your current employment and school, where applicable.

Additional Information
                      The address reporting requirement should not be confused with renewal or replacement of lawful permanent resident cards (Form I-551) or replacement of other evidence of alien registration, such as the Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record; I-186, Nonresident Mexican Border Crossing Card; I-688, Temporary Resident Card; or, I-766, Employment Authorization Document.

Penalties for Failure to Comply
                      A willful failure to give written notice to the USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of the change is a misdemeanor crime. If convicted, the alien (or parent or legal guardian of an alien under age 14 who is required to give notice) can be fined up to $200 or imprisoned up to 30 days, or both. The alien may also be subject to removal from the United States. (INA § 266(b)). Compliance with the requirement to notify the USCIS of any address changes is also a condition of an alien's stay in the United States. Failure to comply could also jeopardize the alien's ability to obtain a future visa or other immigration benefit.

Last Modified 01/20/2006

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed