X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment Authorization Renewal

Hello,

I have a question about Employment Authorization renewal. Why does it take so long now to receive the new EAD card?

I e-filed I-765, went to a application support center to get photographed and fingerprinted, and it's been two months and still no card in the mail. I am renewing, it's not like I'm applying for the first time.

Does the government want us to lose our jobs and not be able to pay rent and become homeless when our cards expire because they don't know how to prioritize renewals? They are making $175.00 per year per person, they should send it within weeks!

Anyway, my question is how long does a renewal usually take when e-filing I-765? This was the first time I e-filed because I couldn't afford to pay my attorney this year. In fact, e-filing should have been much faster!

What is a person to do when the card expires? I have a real big headache because of this.

Hello,

I have a question about Employment Authorization renewal. Why does it take so long now to receive the new EAD card?

I e-filed I-765, went to a application support center to get photographed and fingerprinted, and it's been two months and still no card in the mail. I am renewing, it's not like I'm applying for the first time.

Does the government want us to lose our jobs and not be able to pay rent and become homeless when our cards expire because they don't know how to prioritize renewals? They are making $175.00 per year per person, they should send it within weeks!

Anyway, my question is how long does a renewal usually take when e-filing I-765? This was the first time I e-filed because I couldn't afford to pay my attorney this year. In fact, e-filing should have been much faster!

What is a person to do when the card expires? I have a real big headache because of this.

Comment

I have HEARD and even read it somewhere, that as long as you applied for renewal BEFORE it expires, you should be fine with your employer as long as you can show proof that you in fact did apply to have it renewed. It can sometimes take 90 days to receive it. If you have not heard from them, you may want to try and track it down. They are never in any hurry to get anything where it needs to go in a timely manner.

Comment

I'm not sure if reina is correct regarding you being able to work without the actual valid EAD.

Don't blame INS for taking 2 months because they clearly state the process takes at least 3 months, then you can apply for interim EAD. Especially because it's renewal, you should know better and not procrastinate waiting to apply until the last minute. They even tell you to apply 5 to 6 mos in advance to make sure there are no delays!

Your procrastination is NOT a fault of the INS.

Comment

If you are waiting for renewal and it is unlikely that you will receive the new card before the old one expires you are allowed to work! What you need to do though is going to your local INS office and ask for an extension. They should be able to issue such the same day. You do NOT have to stop working!

Comment

you should have renewed at least 2 months before your EAD expired.

Comment

yes happen to me, I work for a big company and since they promised me to let me know about my GC in 12 weeks I did not apply for a new EAD. My Employer afte a month did not let me work knowing I was in 485 pending, so I lose one week of work. I went to INS and they gave me the extension but they ask me for a letter from my employer and the reason of the extension...I learn the lesson in the hard way I guess.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation