Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver's licence and BCIS in Washington state...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's licence and BCIS in Washington state...

Couple days ago, I went to my local DMV (Seattle, WA) to get the Washington state drivers licence.
    When I arrived there, I stood in line and when I reached the counter, an old gentlemen behind the counter asked me what I was here for.
    I said I am here to apply for a driver's licence.
    A ticket number was given to me and I was told to go sit down and wait for my number to be called.
    When my turn arrived I was called and I approched this lady DMV officer who asked me what I was here for.
    I replied, I am here to apply for a driver's licence.
    She asked me to give her my social security number and either my birth certificate or my passport. I gave them to her and also handed her my Work Permit I received from BCIS.
    She trew the Work Permit back at me and told me that Washington does not need ANY BCIS papers to get a drivers licence.
    I was amazed, blown away. Because the last time I checked in Georgia,Atlanta where I lived for 5 years, no work permit or Green Card equals no Drivers licence.
    Anyway, she told me to fill out a form, which I did and I passed the test and got my licence.

I guess, I was wondering does anyone knows that there is some state at least like this one here where no BCIS documents are required besides only a Valid passport with no visa or birth certificate and a social security will get you a legit drivers licence?

Couple days ago, I went to my local DMV (Seattle, WA) to get the Washington state drivers licence.
    When I arrived there, I stood in line and when I reached the counter, an old gentlemen behind the counter asked me what I was here for.
    I said I am here to apply for a driver's licence.
    A ticket number was given to me and I was told to go sit down and wait for my number to be called.
    When my turn arrived I was called and I approched this lady DMV officer who asked me what I was here for.
    I replied, I am here to apply for a driver's licence.
    She asked me to give her my social security number and either my birth certificate or my passport. I gave them to her and also handed her my Work Permit I received from BCIS.
    She trew the Work Permit back at me and told me that Washington does not need ANY BCIS papers to get a drivers licence.
    I was amazed, blown away. Because the last time I checked in Georgia,Atlanta where I lived for 5 years, no work permit or Green Card equals no Drivers licence.
    Anyway, she told me to fill out a form, which I did and I passed the test and got my licence.

I guess, I was wondering does anyone knows that there is some state at least like this one here where no BCIS documents are required besides only a Valid passport with no visa or birth certificate and a social security will get you a legit drivers licence?

Comment

It used to be that *no* state asked about immigration status. Considering what a complicated issue it is, I think that was a better policy; keep the DMV only incharge of licensnig, etc. Anyway, many, many states do *not* have a presence requirement *per se*, but ask for documents that are hard to have if you were not born here or don't have documents from USCIS. Other staeees specifically require proof of legal presence. Interestingly, Atlanta was very close to two states that traditionally were uninterested in immigration status; NC and TN. NC is very interested in insurance coverage. You need to have insurance not just to register a car, but to get a license at all. Recent changes force NC applicants to either show a US birth certificate or a passport w/ visa, or marriage certificate and proof of sex change operation ( I am not kidding). I believe Maryland has recently eliminated its legal presence requirement, just as California almost did. Virginia and South Carolina I believe fall in the category of asking for documents hard to have without legal presence, but no per se requirement.

Comment

In Florida you must prove legal presence in the U.S. in order to get a new DL or to renew an existent one. If you fail to do so, even a DL that is still valid at the time of the renewal or change attempt, is revoked and replaced by a temporary DL 'substitute' that is valid for no longer than 1 month. The FL DMV does not specifically ask for a SS# when you apply for a new DL or a change/extension to your DL, but for a bunch of other documents that prove legal status.

Comment

I see now.
          I guess different state different laws. How interesting.

Thanks for adding your input.

One.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs