X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crossing into Mexico by car

Hello,

My boyfriend is from Brazil and has been here illegally since about 2004. He flew into the country at 18 years old, with some friends, without a plan. He ended up staying here since then and we met in December 2007.

He loves the USA, but also misses Brazil and his family. He would like to become legal, because he would like to stay and be able to go back and forth between Brazil and the US, and because it is very stressful to be illegal here. Yes, he wishes he did it right the first time, but he was young and didn't know how long he would be staying and did not know how to become legal.

Now we are in a good relationship, and he wants to stay, but not illegally anymore. From my other question I posted, I found that if he leaves he has an automatic 10 year ban before he can try to live here again. During that time he can apply for a non-immigrant waiver to visit. (this is what i have been told)

It seems the only other choice is to get married. We have only been together for 4 months, and although it is great, we both don't want to rush into such a big decision just for him to become legal. If we get married, it will be because we are right for eachother, not for a greencard. So that won't be happening for a while if it does happen.

In the meantime, things are very stressful for both of us. He can stay and wait to see if things change for illegal immigrants with the election coming up, and risk being deported at any moment. Or, he can go back to Brazil and try to get a non-immigrant waiver to visit me, but I don't know how long that takes to get, and if he will be successful in getting it, or how long he could stay here with the waiver. Or I could give up my life here and move to Brazil with him.

Right now I'm looking to see if we have any other options.

I asked the question a few weeks ago about what happens to an illegal immigrant if they fly out of the country, and i was told about the ten year ban.

My question, finally, is, what happens if, instead of flying out, he drives out through the border of Mexico or Canada? Does the USA keep track of people who leave the country by car, or would he just be dealing with Mexican or Canadian officials? Would it be possible for him to drive out through Mexico,and then get to Brazil once out of the USA, without having a 10 year ban imposed on him? Could he then fly back into the USA from Brazil and get a tourist or work visa and start over legally?

Hello,

My boyfriend is from Brazil and has been here illegally since about 2004. He flew into the country at 18 years old, with some friends, without a plan. He ended up staying here since then and we met in December 2007.

He loves the USA, but also misses Brazil and his family. He would like to become legal, because he would like to stay and be able to go back and forth between Brazil and the US, and because it is very stressful to be illegal here. Yes, he wishes he did it right the first time, but he was young and didn't know how long he would be staying and did not know how to become legal.

Now we are in a good relationship, and he wants to stay, but not illegally anymore. From my other question I posted, I found that if he leaves he has an automatic 10 year ban before he can try to live here again. During that time he can apply for a non-immigrant waiver to visit. (this is what i have been told)

It seems the only other choice is to get married. We have only been together for 4 months, and although it is great, we both don't want to rush into such a big decision just for him to become legal. If we get married, it will be because we are right for eachother, not for a greencard. So that won't be happening for a while if it does happen.

In the meantime, things are very stressful for both of us. He can stay and wait to see if things change for illegal immigrants with the election coming up, and risk being deported at any moment. Or, he can go back to Brazil and try to get a non-immigrant waiver to visit me, but I don't know how long that takes to get, and if he will be successful in getting it, or how long he could stay here with the waiver. Or I could give up my life here and move to Brazil with him.

Right now I'm looking to see if we have any other options.

I asked the question a few weeks ago about what happens to an illegal immigrant if they fly out of the country, and i was told about the ten year ban.

My question, finally, is, what happens if, instead of flying out, he drives out through the border of Mexico or Canada? Does the USA keep track of people who leave the country by car, or would he just be dealing with Mexican or Canadian officials? Would it be possible for him to drive out through Mexico,and then get to Brazil once out of the USA, without having a 10 year ban imposed on him? Could he then fly back into the USA from Brazil and get a tourist or work visa and start over legally?

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My boyfriend is from Brazil and has been here illegally since about 2004. He flew into the country at 18 years old, with some friends, without a plan. He ended up staying here since then and we met in December 2007. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Orion you said he flew ( under what visa)
      tourist? Is he out of legal status?

Or he enter the US illegaly ( uninspected)

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion13:
        My question, finally, is, what happens if, instead of flying out, he drives out through the border of Mexico or Canada? Does the USA keep track of people who leave the country by car, or would he just be dealing with Mexican or Canadian officials? Would it be possible for him to drive out through Mexico,and then get to Brazil once out of the USA, without having a 10 year ban imposed on him? Could he then fly back into the USA from Brazil and get a tourist or work visa and start over legally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        It does not matter how he leaves the USA: bar starts the moment he crosses the border. Even if he flys, nothing will be put in writing in his passport. It will be up to him to disclose his overstay in the USA next time he applys for a visa or similar. If he doesn't, chances are very high that he will be dicovered and charged with misrepresentation.

Comment

I'm thinking he must have had a visa if he flew in..hmmm.
          "Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes everywhere will be war"...................BOB MARLEY

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking he must have had a visa if he flew in..hmmm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

same here CM.

Orion didn't mentioned how her boyfriend enter the US. She just mention ilegal status.

Orion how did your bf enter the US?

Was he here due to an overstay visa?
            or.... he enter ilegally ( uninspected)

Comment

it is very important that you check
              on that with your bf.

there's a big difference between the two.
              If he's here on an overstay visa...
              you'll have no problem in adjusting his status
              base on your marriage.

Comment

Thanks for all the responses so far. My boyfriend flew into the United States on a tourist visa (i assume, I will have to check with him) back in 2004 and has stayed since.

According to Aneri, it looks like it doesn't matter if he flies or drives out, the USA officials will know and he won't be able to move here legally for 10 years.

I guess our only choices are:

-to continue living stressfully with him as an illegal

-get married to get him legal status (like I said in my first post though, it's a bit too early in our relationship to be considering marriage)

-have him go back to Brazil and try for a non-immigrant waiver to come back and visit me and I could go to Brazil to visit him. (but we don't know how quick he can get a non-immigrant waiver or if they would even give him one)By the way, does anyone know how long someone can come to visit on a non-immigrant waiver if they are on a ten-year ban from living in the country?

-he can go back to Brazil, and I can go down there to live and try to figure out Brazil's immigration policy so we aren't in the same situation as we are here. But then I would have to give up the life I have here, my job, my apartment, and go without seeing my friends and family for periods of time.

These seem to be the only options for us right now. =(

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Thanks for all the responses so far. My boyfriend flew into the United States on a tourist visa (i assume, I will have to check with him) back in 2004 and has stayed since </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Again Orion,

If he came in as a tourist and overstayed his visa. You can get married and legalize his status within a year without him leaving the US.

Here are the application form: I-130, I-485, I-765.

but please do check on his 1-94 if he has one.
                  if in case he lost it... you can apply for a replacement here is the link.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb9...CM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">-get married to get him legal status (like I said in my first post though, it's a bit too early in our relationship to be considering marriage </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got to think about this too if you really wanna do it. Make sure you guys are marrying for the right reasons.You have to get to know him better.

Just a warning a lot of USC are victims of fraud. .. on the other side aliens are victim of abuse and violence.

Hope you make the smart choice.

Comment

Thanks for your posts Speed

I am well aware of USC's being victims of fraud, but I feel secure in my relationship. My boyfriend is a very caring, hardworking individual and his actions have proved this to me since I have met him. I just wish he had figured out the whole legal immigration thing when he came here so we wouldn't be in this situation now!

Comment

if he entered legally on a tourist visa then there is no problim at all, no bars as well,he will get the bar if he leaves the u.s now . all you guys have to do is to get married and file for for his green card and once he get the green card then he will be free to go to his home country and reenter the u.s like nothing happened. doesn't matter how many years it has been since he entered the u.s ,that wont be an issue if you guys get married

Comment

If you are going to marry him.

Check two things.

1) his 1-94 (this is important, it is a proof of his legal entry) Check his old passport
                          a visa is usually attached in the passport
                          and the 1-94

2) If USCIS issued a deportation letter.

if he has number 1 and the answer to number 2 is a NO... then you'll both be fine. To you can resume the application after you got married

goodluck!

Comment

why thinking about the borders now and mexico etc....? if he gets cought now then its all over, he will be deported and you wont be able to bring him back later on, 1-212 waivers very hard to get approved and i dont think he can proof the hardship as well, the best option is to get married now and get him the green card and no waivers and no problims at all, but of course this is up to you

Comment

marriage is not and should not be a solution for all immigration problems.

Orion made her feelings about marriage clear. And she understands the situation.

We should focus on what other options are available.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation