X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• derived through naturalization

Hi there,
    OK, So here's the deal I was a legal permanent resident and under 18 when my parents naturalized in 1992. Prior to them becoming naturalized we were legal residents for about 13 years. Did I automatically become a citizen and am I eligible to file an N600? Oh and my mom has a different last name than me now, she was married 2 times. But would that not make a difference just as long as she had listed my name as her child on the N400 application when she applied? Thanks for all your help.

Hi there,
    OK, So here's the deal I was a legal permanent resident and under 18 when my parents naturalized in 1992. Prior to them becoming naturalized we were legal residents for about 13 years. Did I automatically become a citizen and am I eligible to file an N600? Oh and my mom has a different last name than me now, she was married 2 times. But would that not make a difference just as long as she had listed my name as her child on the N400 application when she applied? Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Yes, you would be a beneficiary of citizenship through your
      parent, either one. No, no difference if mom got remarried and changed her name. I'm not sure what paperwork needs to be filed to legitimize it...make a call to the USCIS office, they will walk you through the process.

Sec. 1431. Children born outside the United States and residing permanently in the United States; conditions under which citizenship automatically acquired
      TITLE 8, CHAPTER 12, SUBCHAPTER III, Part II, Sec. 1431.
      STATUTE
      (a) A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a citizen of the United States when all of the following conditions have been fulfilled:
      (1) At least one parent of the child is a citizen of the United States, whether by birth or naturalization.
      (2) The child is under the age of eighteen years.
      (3) The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the citizen parent pursuant to a lawful admission for permanent residence.
      (b) Subsection (a) of this section shall apply to a child adopted by a United States citizen parent if the child satisfies the requirements applicable to adopted children under section 1101(b)(1) of this title.

Comment

...Beneficiary of parent's citizenship who you permantly reside with...So either your mom or dad, if both are citizens, but if they are no longer together, the parent that you reside with...

Comment

My sister wants to file for citizenship thru the N600 route but was told she cannot go that route. My parents were married when they recieved their citizenship. My sister was 17yrs when my mom obtained her citizenship. A few months later, my dad recieved his citizenship but my sister was now 18yrs old. She was told that because she was over 18 when my dad was naturalized she was not automatically eligible for citizenship. Is this correct?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation