Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denied OPT -- does part-time CPT count against 12 mo limit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Denied OPT -- does part-time CPT count against 12 mo limit?

I applied for OPT and was shocked that my application was denied. My school had advised me that I can not exceed 12 months of full time CPT and that I can engage in unlimited part-time CPT as long as I am enrolled. I engaged in 9 months of full time CPT and roughly 6 months of part-time CPT. However, USCIS came back to me and counted both full-time and part-time CPT (which equals 13.5 months) and cited that since I have gone over 12 months of CPT, I am ineligible to receive OPT.

I've looked at a few other schools and immigration sites who say that part-time CPT does not count against OPT -- can anybody cite which law this was taken from? I have 2 weeks to settle contest this ruling before I have to pack up and leave. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I applied for OPT and was shocked that my application was denied. My school had advised me that I can not exceed 12 months of full time CPT and that I can engage in unlimited part-time CPT as long as I am enrolled. I engaged in 9 months of full time CPT and roughly 6 months of part-time CPT. However, USCIS came back to me and counted both full-time and part-time CPT (which equals 13.5 months) and cited that since I have gone over 12 months of CPT, I am ineligible to receive OPT.

I've looked at a few other schools and immigration sites who say that part-time CPT does not count against OPT -- can anybody cite which law this was taken from? I have 2 weeks to settle contest this ruling before I have to pack up and leave. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by shashaniwoosh:

I've looked at a few other schools and immigration sites who say that part-time CPT does not count against OPT -- can anybody cite which law this was taken from? I have 2 weeks to settle contest this ruling before I have to pack up and leave. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      OPT was denied because you were engaged in OPT while you were in school for more than 12 months. YOu could have done CPT, different from OPT, which could have helped you in your future career. Or you were eligible for on campus work that is not OPT. You would be limited to about 20 hours per week for on campus work. You either filled out the form wrong or your school was going on "tradition" instead of the law. Either way, you may want to follow the steps in the denial letter if you want reconsideration. And OPT can be either part tiem or full time employment. But once you filed the I-765 for OPT and it was approved, the days start counting in any job experience off campus.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Hi,

What is an OPT and CPT?
        Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

Mrs. B.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
          Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Comment

Hudson: he/she said that "he" was doing CPT, not OPT, and still got his OPT denied....
            Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
              Mrs. B.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
              Optional Practical Training (OPT) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks ProudUSC!
              Do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, as long as ever you can.

--John Wesley

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed