Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-1 interview problem

I applied for a K-1 visa to bring my Vietnamese fiance to US. At her interview yesterday, the HCM consulate officer questioned her regarding the nature of the relationship. She requested the following from me:

"Please submit a 10 minute, non-scripted videotape of you speaking non-scripted (no written words or coaching from others) Vietnamese . There can be no tape stops during the video .

Please provide a notarized letter of explanation detailing the timeline of your relationship. Please give dates and details for significant events ( 1-2 pages only)".

This request was was made because my fiancee said that I speak little Vietnamese and she speaks little English. I do not have the level of fluency to fulfill the request.

Since we didn't get the name of the officer, I sent a request for reconsideration to the information e-mail address on the consulate website.

I politely stated that SOP-61 provides little authority to readjudicate the petition, and that a K-1 Visa should not be conditioned on the fluency of a US citizen in the language of his fiance. I posed rhetorically that if I conceded a lack of fluency would the visa be denied, ignoring the other evidence provided.

I asked that the petition be evaluated based on the documents provided:
    Original air ticket receipts for 4 trips to VN in the last 2 ½ years.
    Original air tickets for our 6 intercity flights within the country on these trips.
    Color copies of 2 visas to VN I retained
    About 40 clearly labeled photos of us in each of these cities, some of them with her family, some with her kids.
    150 pages of newsprint font webchat from our daily 2 ½ year instant messaging webcam sessions.
    Original receipts from the company I use to send send her $100 per month for 2 ½ years plus $3,500 for 3 airline tickets and expenses to the US for her and her 2 kids.

I asked that the 150 pages of webchat transcript be used to evaluate our ability to communicate. I asked them to forego the request for notarized time line since it was clearly described within all of the documents and verbally described by my fiance.

What should I have done? What will their response be?
    Whipsaw1

I applied for a K-1 visa to bring my Vietnamese fiance to US. At her interview yesterday, the HCM consulate officer questioned her regarding the nature of the relationship. She requested the following from me:

"Please submit a 10 minute, non-scripted videotape of you speaking non-scripted (no written words or coaching from others) Vietnamese . There can be no tape stops during the video .

Please provide a notarized letter of explanation detailing the timeline of your relationship. Please give dates and details for significant events ( 1-2 pages only)".

This request was was made because my fiancee said that I speak little Vietnamese and she speaks little English. I do not have the level of fluency to fulfill the request.

Since we didn't get the name of the officer, I sent a request for reconsideration to the information e-mail address on the consulate website.

I politely stated that SOP-61 provides little authority to readjudicate the petition, and that a K-1 Visa should not be conditioned on the fluency of a US citizen in the language of his fiance. I posed rhetorically that if I conceded a lack of fluency would the visa be denied, ignoring the other evidence provided.

I asked that the petition be evaluated based on the documents provided:
    Original air ticket receipts for 4 trips to VN in the last 2 ½ years.
    Original air tickets for our 6 intercity flights within the country on these trips.
    Color copies of 2 visas to VN I retained
    About 40 clearly labeled photos of us in each of these cities, some of them with her family, some with her kids.
    150 pages of newsprint font webchat from our daily 2 ½ year instant messaging webcam sessions.
    Original receipts from the company I use to send send her $100 per month for 2 ½ years plus $3,500 for 3 airline tickets and expenses to the US for her and her 2 kids.

I asked that the 150 pages of webchat transcript be used to evaluate our ability to communicate. I asked them to forego the request for notarized time line since it was clearly described within all of the documents and verbally described by my fiance.

What should I have done? What will their response be?
    Whipsaw1

Comment

It seems the person interviewing her didn't think she could speak English very well and perhaps when he/she brought that up she said you speak little Vietnamese. It seems they are not sure of your relationship. They can ask for additional evidence, but the 10-minute viddeo of you speaking her language seems a bit much. I would check with an attorney. Good luck!

Comment

Of course, you don't have to speak each other's language in order to have a genuine relationship. I personally know women who came her on K-1 or K-3 visas without speaking English and without their husbands or fiances speaking their language. I would recommend that you talk to an immigration attorney (just in case), maybe a free consultation would suffice for now. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation