Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davdah:
    Hudson read the press release. They are paying those wages as we speak. Sure, eventually they will mechanize. That is part of the process when the cost of doing business increases. For so many years they didn't have to since the cost of labor was artificially pushed down. Now they will since that free ride has been taken away. Question is how long before we have a lettuce picking machine? We'll see.
    I find it hard to believe they are paying illegals $18, $10 I would maybe believe.

But also find it hard to believe that anybody would tell the truth either.

Many Countries have already addressed this issue, mechanisation will work its way through the product range, some of the more difficult products may become more expensive, others cheaper.

Longer term, water is likely to be much more of an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Theone:
      With the increased gas prices and the need to conserve, I think it is more likely that the US Supermarkets will need to move more to suplying from local sources, not shiping over enormous distances.

The trend is allready there in many other countries, it can only be a question of time before the US catches up.

GM is mainly down to bad management, Toyota for example, number 2 now, can manfacture in the US quite profitably.

United and Delta, well you could also name any other major carrier of their type from anywhere else in the world. Nature of the industry. The succesful players have a different business model, not nationality.
      True, both fuel have put a crunch on almost every industry in the US. And I even agree with GM management, both corporate and nunion leaders, have a lot to blame for the the company's performance. But GM employees are the highest paid and the company is attempting to do some major cost restructuring, partiularly labor costs. The same can be said with the airline industry too. Look at AMR, they restructured their labor costs and are now doing well. However, the point I was making was that simply increasing wages will not necessarily solve the porblem unless all wages from all sectors of the economy are increased. If all sectors of the ecnomy increase the wages, then real wages, taken after cost of inflation, will not truely increase.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation