Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L1 visa extension at a consulate

My L1 petition has been extended the second time and I'll need to get the visa in my passport at a consulate abroad, since I travel biweekly between the USA and Asia. Does anybody know if this can be done anywhere or does it have to be at a consulate in the country that issued the passport. MY passport was issued by the Czech Republic but I'll be at the trade shows in SE ASia exactly at the time when my visa expires. The rules are changing and info posted on the us consulate websites is very contradictory. I don't want to be stuck in ASia, not being abkle to go home. Thank you

My L1 petition has been extended the second time and I'll need to get the visa in my passport at a consulate abroad, since I travel biweekly between the USA and Asia. Does anybody know if this can be done anywhere or does it have to be at a consulate in the country that issued the passport. MY passport was issued by the Czech Republic but I'll be at the trade shows in SE ASia exactly at the time when my visa expires. The rules are changing and info posted on the us consulate websites is very contradictory. I don't want to be stuck in ASia, not being abkle to go home. Thank you

Comment

Hi
      I found the following information on a Lawyer's website. Please read and see if it applies to you and also seek a second opinion as well.

http://www.hooyou.com/L-visa/Traveli...n_L_Status.htm

Travel abroad when in L status

Individuals in L-1 status (L-1A or L-1B) who wish to travel outside the United States for brief periods of time but whose visa has expired face a risk: that they won't be able to return the United States once they conclude their visit abroad, since they lack a visa allowing for their return to the United States. To alleviate this problem, individuals in L-1 status are, in certain circumstances, allowed to obtain a new visa without leaving the country through the State Department's visa revalidation procedure. Specifically, L-1 visa holders who are in valid status, whose passport will be valid for at least six months, and whose original L visa has a remaining validity of 60 days or less or has expired within the last 12 months, can obtain a new L visa without leaving the country by applying for revalidation (renewal) of the L visa at the U.S. State Department. If you want to know more about visa revalidation, please click here.

If you are not eligible for the visa revalidation procedure, the use of designated U.S. consulates in Mexico or Canada is especially suited for such applications, since, as long as the candidate is in valid status, they can return to the U.S. from Mexico or Canada regardless of whether the visa is ultimately issued or not. Of course, even if L visa holders are eligible for the visa revalidation procedure, they may still apply for a Third Country Visa. In fact, such individuals may prefer doing this, since the third country visa processing is expedited.

P.S. Are you Pavel Kubina of TB Lightning. If you are then we want you to stay in Tampa GO LIGHTNING!

Comment

Thanks a lot. I think that the State Department does not process visas anymore, because of the fingerprint bull****, but the Mexico or Canada consulate sounds feasible.
        I'm not Kubina, I play semipro hockey, no NHL.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation