X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal marrying in the USA

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the group, but have a question. My husband and I immigrated to the USA 6 years ago and have faithfully paid our immigration attorney to do all our extensions etc. We operate a mnfring company. I met a young lady who has been in the country illegally for 7 years and is now getting married. She mentioned that all her problems are now solved with the marriage.
    I am really angry that we did things the right way and she manages to get away with it. She also worked here illegally for all the years she has been here. Shouldn't something be done about this.

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the group, but have a question. My husband and I immigrated to the USA 6 years ago and have faithfully paid our immigration attorney to do all our extensions etc. We operate a mnfring company. I met a young lady who has been in the country illegally for 7 years and is now getting married. She mentioned that all her problems are now solved with the marriage.
    I am really angry that we did things the right way and she manages to get away with it. She also worked here illegally for all the years she has been here. Shouldn't something be done about this.

Comment

I understand your bitterness - I've been here for years and faced a lot of costs, sorrows, etc. in order to always maintain my legal status. However, I'd feel happy for that person if I were you - I'm sure she faced a lot of pain and was treated like **** most of the time - she probably paid more that's it's worth too!

The only thing that makes me mad is that I'm the one being questioned and treated like **** by immogration authorities because of people, especially my fellow country men :P who exhaust all avenues possible to stay overseas illegally.

Comment

>Shouldn't something be done about this

There is something being done about it.

What's being done, is new laws that'll make it EASIER for women like her to live here illegally, and "connect families" and work and find a better life in the USA.

-= nav =-

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should be happy for her, after all, she did not have to spend any money to get legal, I cannot understand that the "INS" don't ask for documentation as to when whe entered the country etc. Oh well, I should just let it stop worrying me, "what goes around, comes around".
          Once again thanks.

Comment

As a person that married someone who overstayed a visa in this country, and therefore was illegal I can tell you that this time was one of the worst times in his whole life.

Additionally, it is something that will follow him in many ways for the rest of his life.

The person who has been illegal will also experience a great deal of prejudice, from both USC and immigrants... and that prejudice does not completely disappear when they become legal.

I know it is frustrating with immigration rules... but there are a lot of things that a person has to pass through and a lot of wasted opportunities when a person is illegal.

And it also creates hardships to the USC spouse as well. I wish the immgration laws would change to make it better for everyone involved... but please know that for all of your legal suffering with immigration (to stay legal), the person that is illegal experiences a great deal of personal suffering in their life.

One other thing, if the person entered the USA without inspection (i.e. illegally) then marriage could not and would not "solve all of their problems". Under current law this can only happen if the person entered with some type of visa (at the very least a tourist visa). So therefore INS/BCIS/USCIS at some point requested information as to when she entered the country.

The only possible exception to this is if she is from a country such a Nicaragua and qualifies for some type of relief under NACARA... which would then indicate to you that before that person even entered the USA they were exposed to suffering!!!

To clarify I am not making excuses for people who are illegal, but rather explaining that being illegal is not a picnic, and not something that any one should ever want to have experienced or in any way be jealous of!

I hope this helps to make you feel a little better about your predicament!!!!

Good luck to you!

Comment

Yeah it's really horrible:

You fill out some forms.

You take some pictures.

You photocopy some bills.

You do an interview.

You wait for your gc.

How horrible and devastating.

And on TOP OF THAT -- you have to live with someone you don't even like!!

-= nav =-

Comment

"The only possible exception to this is if she is from a country such a Nicaragua and qualifies for some type of relief under NACARA... which would then indicate to you that before that person even entered the USA they were exposed to suffering!!!"

Or if she is grandfathered under 245i.

Comment

Hi there, Moondin, I have tell you, I love reading your posts, it always brings a smile to my face. I have been reading posts for quite some time and every time I read your posts it makes me smile.

Comment

In reply to spouse, jealousy does not even come into it. I was talking about the immigration laws that allow this. Morally, the whole thing is wrong, and suffer, wow! what kind of suffering? nobody wears a sign reading "I was illegal and am married now". So there is no suffering there. I'm sorry if you thought that it was jealousy.

Comment

Good point cedar scented, there was also 245i, but that section of law is no longer in effect.

Moondin - as usual you are not worth my time.

Marlo - I am sorry for your painful experience. I only responded to give you a small perspective of the other side. Apparently, you only wanted to complain not to understand, nor feel better.

It has also been educational in allowing me to realize that your feelings are not jealousy that someone has had an easier time with the immigration process than you, but rather a desire to see others suffer more.

I will tell you again that I agree that immigration laws are harsh and very painful. But, personally, I do not wish to see anyone suffer, I would prefer to see the process made smoother for everyone and anyone that poses no danger to, and may in fact aid, this country.

And frankly, you will half to walk a mile in someone else's shoes to ever understand them and their experiences.

The immigration process is a mess for everyone -my husband and I were basically forced by these laws to live apart for nearly 3 years. Perhaps this would not be a harsh penalty to you, but it is to many of us that love our spouses.

Some people have it easier, and others have it harder. I, personally, wish the best for everyone.

However, I must say, if you are so eager to become a LPR, I highly recommend that you find a way of doing so legally, such as by contributing to the USA in some outstanding way, rather than just sitting around and complaining that this country lets you live here - when neither you nor your immediate family was born here.

The only reason you are legal and others are not is because you have the financial resources and the opportunity in life to be legal - realisitically, what are you complaining about?

Finally, I will quote a wise man - "Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone."

Comment

>"Let he who has not sinned cast the first >stone."

*throws stone*

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board