Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No consistency at all in Social Security Offices

Each Social Security Office I visited had a different take on my case.

There was clearly no consistency at all.

One office clearly refused to take a look at my application for a social security card unless I had the I-551 stamp issued on my passport.

I had valid employment authorisation document issued to me by the DHS/INS and valid Driver License issued to me on the basis of my EAD.

I had valid passport with me.

I had submitted all the paperwork required in full and complete.

The second office takes my application and sends it off to the head office but does not give me any receipt or letter or anything in writing to acknowledge that the application is received and that it is being sent to the head office.

The third office gives me a letter stating that the application has been received and that action will be taken in the following 4-6 weeks.

So each Social Security Office is different.

They may represent one office but each has a different take on things and no one office knows what the other office is doing or what policy should they follow.

A very poor impression of the Social Secuity Administration Office.
    Born Free
    Living Free
    Forever Free

Each Social Security Office I visited had a different take on my case.

There was clearly no consistency at all.

One office clearly refused to take a look at my application for a social security card unless I had the I-551 stamp issued on my passport.

I had valid employment authorisation document issued to me by the DHS/INS and valid Driver License issued to me on the basis of my EAD.

I had valid passport with me.

I had submitted all the paperwork required in full and complete.

The second office takes my application and sends it off to the head office but does not give me any receipt or letter or anything in writing to acknowledge that the application is received and that it is being sent to the head office.

The third office gives me a letter stating that the application has been received and that action will be taken in the following 4-6 weeks.

So each Social Security Office is different.

They may represent one office but each has a different take on things and no one office knows what the other office is doing or what policy should they follow.

Born Free
    Living Free
    Forever Free

Comment

Y A W N

Comment

Dear Elsa:
        Although you may be right in some of the things you are pointing out here, you are wrong in saying that the SSA doesn't have any rules to follow. As a government office the SSA has policies and regulations available via intranet to all employees and they are all the same across the nation . Every decision to be made is found in those rules and regulations. Sometimes people like you that don't work for federal agencies don't know the reasons as to why it "might" seem like there is no consistency in their work. What you don't know or perhaps you do, is that there are many people like you that go around hopping from one office to another, fishing for information. There are many malintentioned people that try to find out what those procedures are, to scam the government. Perhaps this is not your case but sadly you have to pay for the wrong doing of those who came before you. That is why the SSA along with many other federal agencies have to be constantly changing the rules to stay on top of the game. Maybe each time you have visited an office there has been a different situation that you are not aware of and for obvious reasons they cannot give you all the details. My best advise is that you follow the instructions they give you and I assure you, you will get what you need with less hassle. Remember SSA doesn't only issue Social Security cards to immigrants, the job of that agency is far more than that. They have many programs to administer and accusing them, is not helping you obtain what you want. I'll say it is just far from the truth, the case here is you want things your way and that is not how SSA works.They work in connection with the Department of Homeland Security for this situation of yours. Keep in mind the people behind that are REAL people like you and I. They don't make the rules and clearly you don't make them either. Stating that "clearly" there is no consistency is not a valid accusation knowing now that you don't know all the insides of the process that involves assigning Social Security Numbers to people that are simply authorized to work on a temporary basis. SSA is a government office and like so, they are ruled by standards. The day you are able to vote in this country you will have a saying in it but for now, be thankful for what you've got.

Comment

even in the same office one clerk does not know what the other clerk is upto?

In one case , one day I was dealing with Clerk number 1 or if you wish to be precise Officer number 1 who gave me a certain reply.

The next day I went to that same office and was dealing with someone different who gave a different reply.

The social security office has taken action finally in my case but it has cost me 6 months of unemployment ......

I have been unable to get a job even though I did get the Employment Authorisation Document six months earlier.

The officials have mislead me in giving me the correct information.

They are unable to do their job in a timely manner.

This organization is Pathetic and Pitiable.
          Born Free
          Living Free
          Forever Free

Comment

You are without a doubt an ignorant being, and no matter what anyone else tries to explain to you, you are set in your ways.You fail to see that SSA is not the one that authorizes your work permit, so accusing them of your "loss of employment" is just an ignorant reply from your part... by the way, AUTHORIZATION is spelled with a "Z" not an S maybe you should learn to spell and that should help you get a better picture of what anyone is trying to tell you.You did use the word pathetic and that is quite right to describe people like you, that want to take over as if someone died and made them "the queen diva" on earth. Get a life Elsa, se ve que no tienes nada mas que hacer.

Comment

I think that I said it correctly the first time...Y A W N

Comment

Gov't bureacracy isnt a private conspiracy to deny you your given rights. It has always been a gigantic exercise in frustration, no matter if dealing with VA hospitals, US Military, US Post Office, IRS or SSA each & every one is a lot efficient than it could be. Now thats agreed, you will have to deal with what you have. Quit whining & deal

Comment

All of you ...Bluebutterfly and SunDevilUSA and Julie....Get off this thread....your contributions have no value at all....

Keep off!!!
                  Born Free
                  Living Free
                  Forever Free

Comment

have you found a job yet, elsa?

Comment

Well, FT, as a long term HR person all I can say is the above statement could easily be corrected to state what is obvious "A very poor impression of Elsa." I pity the company that deals with her. whahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

An edition that this country really needs right now.

Oops, where did my diplomacy go.

<waiting for Elsa slams>

Comment

I have got several offers for jobs but they employers refuse to give me employment once they know that the Social security card has not been issued for employment purposes.
                        Born Free
                        Living Free
                        Forever Free

Comment

oops, but you told us in another thread that it HAS been issued What's the problem now? go get a job!

posted by elsa on May 27, 2005 08:33 PM:

[Finally , now on the 25th of May 2005 I did receive my social security card after I again contacted another social security office and put in my application]

Comment

Sorry to be impolite, Elsa...but, you're too stupid for words

Comment

I lost the job opportunities that came my way in the last 6 months because of the lazy inept officials in this slack organization
                              Born Free
                              Living Free
                              Forever Free

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources