Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Children of Diplomats

are children of diplomats alowed to get the U.S. Citizenship. I was born in New York and lived there 7 years.

thanks
    jessica

are children of diplomats alowed to get the U.S. Citizenship. I was born in New York and lived there 7 years.

thanks
    jessica

Comment

no.

If your parents have a diplomatic passport at your birth, then you do NOT become a citizen by birth.Instead, you are a citizen of the country they are from.

Read this:

http://uscis.gov/graphics/services/natz/citizen.htm

Comment

there is a lawyer who states that he has handled this particular cases. Do u think it is possible? is he being honest?
        jessica

Comment

no.

Comment

thanks. are u a lawyer?
            jessica

Comment

Jessica, Marasmus is correct. Although the 14th amendment grants Citizenship to people born on American soil, there is an exception.

The United States currently grants automatic U.S. citizenship to almost all children born in the United States, regardless of whether the parents are U.S. citizens, legal residents, temporary visitors, or illegal aliens in the United States. The only exceptions to this rule, are the children of foreign diplomats stationed in the United States, whose citizenship at birth is governed by international treaty.

But you are right, it doesn't hurt to speak to an attorney about this. Are you, like our Founding Fathers, fed up with the old UK?
              America is prosperous because America is an optimistic nation. America is America because we are a nation of immigrants.

Comment

When a child born to diplomats in the United States they are not US Citizens.

Since you was born in US, Who was diplomat, Father/Mother, and what was his/her position at the time of your birth?

Before you talk to the lawyer let us have some more information to my above questions.

Comment

I just think it is unfair for us. I was born there and lived there 7 years. I love the American culture and I know for sure that I want to live there.
                  jessica

Comment

My father is a first councelor.
                    jessica

Comment

Well it is fair or unfair that's the way the US Laws are written.

What is your current citizenship is?
                      "My father is a first consular," It sounds like you are in the United States and your father is still in Diplomatc Mission?

Comment

I have the Spanish Citizenship and yes my father is woking as a diplomat in the UK
                        jessica

Comment

Dastur, it is not the US law that dictates this, rather the International law does. Many countries like the US have Birthright Citizenship, such as Brazil, Argentina, and Spain, but all abide by International law, which dictates: Diplomat kids are not citizens.
                          America is prosperous because America is an optimistic nation. America is America because we are a nation of immigrants.

Comment

Where are you now in UK or US?
                            If in US are you traveling on your Diplomatic Passport?
                            What about your parents Citizenship?

Comment

We have the same Nationality.I am in the UK.
                              I have found an attorney who says that he could help me first get the green card and then the nationality. But before spending my money, I would like to know what people think about this.
                              jessica

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed