Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration Q

I am a US citizen who married an immigrant. I am wondering if the marriage will allow this individual to stay here or if we will be required to go to his country. This individual came here legally on a visa but never went back and has been here for appx. 17 years.

I am a US citizen who married an immigrant. I am wondering if the marriage will allow this individual to stay here or if we will be required to go to his country. This individual came here legally on a visa but never went back and has been here for appx. 17 years.

Comment

what a surprise.....another village idiot succumbs to the pleas and whining of some dirtbag illegal...what is the name of the trailer park you live in?

Comment

I hardly consider myself a "village idiot" as I do hold (2) bachelor degrees, just not in law...And I do own my own home to include some acreage... so there is no "trailer park"...I have also seved in the military and in other aspects of community service for many years. So please be respectful of the question and act like you have some manners..Thank You

Comment

First of all you should right click on that guy's name and then click "add Someone12 to my ignore list". You won't have to see his/her posts anymore.

Secondly, since your spouse came in with a valid visa, she may be able to adjust status in this country. However, there is a long list of possible reasons why she still could not. Have you or anyone else ever applied for any immigration benefits on behalf of your wife? I'm guessing she has never been arrested or charged with any crimes, has never been in immigration proceedings, never been deported and never used fake immigration documents.

But you waited 17 years to think about adjusting status. Makes me think there is some problem that has prevented you from petitioning for her. If so, you should go ahead and either tell us, or contact a lawyer and tell him. If you think that DHS won't discover an old problem you might be surprised.
          Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Comment

I apologize, I think that something was missing in my statement. The individual I married came here on and off for many years. He brought his wife and daughters here back in 1996, he was injured on the job and sustained a back injury to which his ex-wife threw him out of the house because he could not work, then she filed for a divorce. He found odd and end jobs after many people from church helped him with food and housing until he could get up and around. He has remained here and we were married back in January and plan to eventually move to Mexico. He is from a fairly upstanding area of Mexico and we already have a place there but are trying to make it so we can come back and forth.

Comment

Does anyone from Mexico EVER immigrate legally?

Comment

The last time your spouse entered the U.S. did he come in with a valid visa? Or did he just cross the border illegally? When? Has anyone else ever filed for an immigration benefit on his behalf?

The thing you must understand about adjusting status to lawful permanent resident is that the DHS expects the alien to reside in the U.S. If he just comes here for a few months every year then he will eventually lose his status.
                Note: This is not legal advice. For legal advice contact a competent immigration attorney. http://asylumlaw.blogspot.com

Comment

Yes, he entered with a valid visa and wss told at the border that this was the last time he could cross, so he stayed here and has been here for 17 years. We own property here and would love to be able to stay permanently but would love the option of going to his home country and stay some of the time.

Comment

From what you tell me, your husband may be able to adjust in the U.S. You might want to connect an immigration attorney to find out for sure.

Once he adjusts status he could return to his country quite often. Even being there over three months every year would usually not be a problem.

Comment

Thank You, for your assessment of this situation. He is not opposed to returning to his country and I am not opposed to going with him if my own country does't want us here. But we both have children here and do enjoy spending time with them, so thought I would get a different view on the situation.

Comment

HA HA HA HA Someone 12 you kill me! you are too much but still YOU ARE RIGHT. First of all this loser is not a natural born American, she became one. Second, she already pushed puppies with the criminal. The thing to do is that the criminal go back to his country and if the marriage is real, and if they are in love like she claims, then there shouldn't be any problem.
                        to Rambo and every damm illegal alien in the U.S. GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!! Your own countries are supposed to support you, THEY have an OBLIGATION with you, not us, when will you get it thru your sick skulls. We have MILLIONS of people who SHOULD

Comment

I rest my case....the OP, in spite of allegedly having 2 bachelor degrees (one, no doubt, in Advanced Idiocy), is still the village idiot buying into this Mexican scumbag's story....no doubt the OP spent too much time studying because she is not going to make the cover of "Cosmopolitan" anytime in the foreseeable future and has found the only person who would consider marriage....why not marry an American? Why consider for even one nanosecond helping some law breaking dirtbag? Answer: Desperation.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation