Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, few more questions as there are too many possibilities

Ok, will ask you guys/gals to come to the rescue one more time. I am sure my questions have been discussed or answered before but there is a magnitude of <b>different</b> answers and I would like to get a quick summary for myself.
    my situation: Married, kids, mortgage ane etc. My GC was granted to me 3 years ago without any conditions (INS said because we were married already for few years before I even applied)

1. True or False, when filing N-400 ($260 fee) I should include $50 fingerprinting fee right away, making total $310?

2. How long does it take for interview from the date of filing N-400?

3. How long is an interview itself?

4. Do I have to bring all the bills again and marriage certificates and etc or just my GC?

5. My local office (Milwaukee, WI) does NOT do Oath Ceremony right away. So... what is the typical wait time from the interview to the ceremony in such offices?

6. After Oath ceremony is taken, when(or rather how quick is the process, will it take another year to get some kind of certificate from INS allowing me to apply for one) can I get a US passport to travel to Ukraine?

7. How long does it take to get a US passopt and where do I get it (local Police station or what)?

8. What is the final word, do I have to bring my wife for an inverview or not? (she is stay at home mom, so we do not really have a sitter and Milwaukee is 2 hours driving time)

9. NOT A QUESTION: thanks in advance.

To make it easier to read if you can just post your reply in the 1 through 8 bullet style answers vs free style one paragraph writing, it will make it much easier to read. Thanks again.
    ...Mistake Recognized is half corrected ...

Ok, will ask you guys/gals to come to the rescue one more time. I am sure my questions have been discussed or answered before but there is a magnitude of &lt;b&gt;different&lt;/b&gt; answers and I would like to get a quick summary for myself.
    my situation: Married, kids, mortgage ane etc. My GC was granted to me 3 years ago without any conditions (INS said because we were married already for few years before I even applied)

1. True or False, when filing N-400 ($260 fee) I should include $50 fingerprinting fee right away, making total $310?

2. How long does it take for interview from the date of filing N-400?

3. How long is an interview itself?

4. Do I have to bring all the bills again and marriage certificates and etc or just my GC?

5. My local office (Milwaukee, WI) does NOT do Oath Ceremony right away. So... what is the typical wait time from the interview to the ceremony in such offices?

6. After Oath ceremony is taken, when(or rather how quick is the process, will it take another year to get some kind of certificate from INS allowing me to apply for one) can I get a US passport to travel to Ukraine?

7. How long does it take to get a US passopt and where do I get it (local Police station or what)?

8. What is the final word, do I have to bring my wife for an inverview or not? (she is stay at home mom, so we do not really have a sitter and Milwaukee is 2 hours driving time)

9. NOT A QUESTION: thanks in advance.

To make it easier to read if you can just post your reply in the 1 through 8 bullet style answers vs free style one paragraph writing, it will make it much easier to read. Thanks again.

Comment

1. Yes, put the proper application and fingerprinting fees on seperate checks and sent them jointly with your N-400 application!

2. There is no saying how long it will take, it could be anythere from a few months to a year.

3. If you studied your questions well and have no other issues, shouldn't be more than 10-15 min.

4. As the applicant, you have the burden of proof, I would suggest to bring anything that you need to answer or proof, so yes, bring along anything, since you're obviously applying as the 3 yr. spouse of USC, bring everything that attests to it (tax returns, marriage certs, joined bills, deeds etc.).

5. Anywhere from a few weeks to (by statute) 6 months. You have the right to demand an oath after a favorable and otherwise proper interview after 180 days by petitioning the federal court.

6. You get your certification of naturalization during the oath ceremony, after the oath, you're a USC. You can apply for a passport immediatly after.

7. US passports can be petitioned at the passport agency (usually in the same federal building in which you take your oath), designated post offices or libraries. It takes anywhere from a few days to a few weeks (regular processing).

8. In some juristiction you can take guests to the ceremony, very small children that can not be contained are sometimes not allouwed, especially if the oath ceremony occurs in a court of law. Inquire with you particular processing station.

9. Good luck

Comment

You can find the nearest place to apply for your passport online at:

http://travel.state.gov/passport_services.html
        Have a nice day

Comment

Thank you so much for your info. It is official that I now fall into an 'idiot' category. 30 minutes after I send N-400 to Nebraska, I discovered pictures and copy of my GC laying on my desk. I guess I will have to now wait for the packet to be shipped back to me and then re-mail it. I feel really stupid and upset, as I fear I just set myself back by probably few month... Oh well.

Comment

30 min.? Why didn't go back to the post office or the box and talked to a postal officer? I bet they could have retrieved it! Mail is usually not shipped out immediatly but goes to a holding and sorting area. Don't worry it can, but it doesn't mean that it must be all delayed now for months without an end. Sometimes the naturalization officer will give you the opportunity to correct or complete your application delayed. More likely is that it will be sent back to you and you have to sent it out anew! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora:
              30 min.? Why didn't go back to the post office or the box and talked to a postal officer? I bet they could have retrieved it! Mail is usually not shipped out immediatly but goes to a holding and sorting area. Don't worry it can, but it doesn't mean that it must be all delayed now for months without an end. Sometimes the naturalization officer will give you the opportunity to correct or complete your application delayed. More likely is that it will be sent back to you and you have to sent it out anew! Good luck.
              It is a busy Post office, servicing 80K population and by the time I got there I doubt I would of had any luck someone searching though a pile of envelopes. I just hope they will ship it back to me soon to enclose all of the info...

Comment

all right, any speculations on how quickly my paperwork makes it back to me so I can include my photos and GC copy and send it back?

Comment

LTH (and resident of WI)- just to expand on a few of Pandora's wonderful answers-

2. The average date from mailing to LIN and interview in MIL is 14 months (Oh, and you should get an improperly filed app. back in 6-8 weeks.)

5. The Eastern District Court (Milwaukee) does an oath ceremony every month (but the one at the Folk Fair is the best.) The Western District Court (Madison) is usually on alternate months. After the interview and after "security checks" are complete, you should be in the next ceremony.

6. & 7. After the judge swears you in as a US citizen, Immigration hands you a certificate of naturalization. You can drive down to Chicago (you need an appointment with the Passport Service), present your spankin' new cert. and other documents, and get a passport that same day for emergency travel. If it's not an emergency, file at the post office.

8. You can bring a wife to the USCIS office, but she has to wait outside in the lobby during your interview. You can bring an attorney; they sit quietly next to you. You can bring a translator, if you are disabled or old*. For the oath ceremony, every can go, just no flash photography.

* age 55 and LPR for 15 years, or age 50 and LPR for 20 years.

Comment

excellent, thanks again.

Comment

OK, good news...
                      got my receipt letter today with a LIN number.

a) forgotten copy of GC and pictures are not needed and letter indicates just to bring these to the interview.

b) Letter states that I SHOULD BE NOTIFIED OF THE DATE AND PLACE OF INTERVIEW WITHIN 90 DAYS !!!!

Is it true? 90 days?

c) when I try to input my LIN (I am putting it in with this format LIN*000XXXXXX) https://egov.immigration.gov/graphic...s/caseStat.jsp nothing comes up. Is this normal?

All and all is a great news for me.

Comment

One thing about demanding oath after 180 days.....if your background check is not clear after 180 days no one is going to give you an oath ceremony. Unfortunately background checks are out of CIS control (conducted by another agency) and if your does not clear guidelines say not to approve without it. This isn't a problem for about 75% of the people.

Comment

did not they check everything they needed when I was applying for my GC(I got Permanent Residency with no conditions)? Or are they are checking for stuff in the last 3 years? I am a bit lost. I am not really worrying about additional checks but somehow I was under impression that it was interview and the next closest oath ceremony date. am I thinking wrong?

Comment

Okay here comes the stupid part about the post-9/11 world.....it doesn't matter. Background checks have to be run on EACH application filed. So say you file for AOS and you file for employment authorization and advance parole at the same time.....A background check will be run on EACH of those applications wasting lots of time and energy. In your case, however, some of these checks weren't in existence then. Most of them are post-9/11.

Comment

I see, oh well, I just hope it can be all done quickly.
                              Another question that I have is:
                              I had to file Application by sending it to Nebraska but do I check the INS processing times by my INS center which is Milwaukee as far as N400?

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation