Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

citizenship / n-400 (Urgent Help is needed--Pease reply)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• citizenship / n-400 (Urgent Help is needed--Pease reply)

Hi, friends
    I am eligible for USC and have all forms ready. I didn't register for Selective service. I had 3 months left to my 26th birthday on the day I got my residency. The INS officer told me that the registration takes about 2-3 months and so it will be useless to register in my case. What should I do now ? Do I need lawyer for this ? Will I become citizen ?
    I was legal non-immigrant before I was interviewed for Status Adjustment.
    My age right now is 30 and will finish 31 in August.
    Thanks in advance for any expert help.
    Chi Chi

Hi, friends
    I am eligible for USC and have all forms ready. I didn't register for Selective service. I had 3 months left to my 26th birthday on the day I got my residency. The INS officer told me that the registration takes about 2-3 months and so it will be useless to register in my case. What should I do now ? Do I need lawyer for this ? Will I become citizen ?
    I was legal non-immigrant before I was interviewed for Status Adjustment.
    My age right now is 30 and will finish 31 in August.
    Thanks in advance for any expert help.
    Chi Chi

Comment

Chichi:
      Just write an affidavit stating that you didn't know you had to register. Have it notarized and send it to the Immigration Office. One thing: Did you know you had to register?

Comment

I didn't know at all about this registration. The INS office in Miami informed me when they took my interview for the conditional greencard. Before that I was on Fiance(Non-immigrant) visa and applied for Adj.of Status. At the time of interview I was 3 months short of my 26th birthday and so the officer told me if required you will be informed by mail. I didn't get any mail for that registration.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

One more question.
        how long is the waiting time in Illinois region.

Thanks.

Comment

For chicago they are processing november 22 2004 right now.... so u can say it takes abt 5-6 months... u can check the updates here...

https://egov.immigration.gov/cris/js...ectedOffice=18

for selective services just write an explanation and u should be fine..good luck...Pasha

Comment

thanks pasha and thanks to all of you.

I will let you know the outcome.

Have a nice day.

Chichi

Comment

You may want to read this http://www.sss.gov/FSmen.htm

Comment

hi, guys,

Thanks to all of you for information. It was really helpful. Well, I have hired a lawyer for n-400. It sounds stupid after all this answers but hey, I can afford to spend 1500 dollars but can't afford to stay away from my wife for too long. It is worth it and so let the lawyer take care of it. Also, I don't get time even to go to bank because of my business.
                Anyway, will post the outcome soon.

Take care and good luck to all good people out there.

Chi Chi

Comment

Wait until after your 31st birthday before you file for naturalization. Your failure to register for Selective Service will be outside of the 5 year statutory period.

Comment

Hi, Old man,

Thanks for input. Too late though because I applied already and the file is on its way to USCIS. Anyway let's see what happens. I do have lawyer and she is very confident about the case. She is very smart and she is the one who was with me as an attorney for my I-751 interview without US Citizen Spouse.

I will keep posting on this board about the results and the outcome. My file was mailed on April 21st afternoon to Nebraska Service Center.

Thanks guys....
                    Chi chi

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs