Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Turkey Day

I know there are more than a few turkeys in here already but I have to say it...

"What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

I know there are more than a few turkeys in here already but I have to say it...

"What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying."

Comment

It's Thanksgiving day, not turkey day.

Obviously some here have no idea where this originated or for what it represents. Although it's roots are supposedly attached to the Pilgrims and indians, in actuality, it isn't.

It became a national holiday as a result of activism and recognition of the toll brought on by civil war strife. It became so when Abraham Lincoln requested all Americans to ask God for assistance in the efforts to heal the country. The connection to Pilgrims has been mostly for ease of understanding by children.
      This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.

Comment

Happy Thanksgiving/Turkey Day to all.

Comment

That is typical of immigrants to denigrate our holidays just as you demand the end to Christmas and Easter, replacing them with Winter Holiday and Spring Holiday.

Comment

Well there's proof some on here really are turkeys. MANY USC's refer to Thanksgiving as Turkey Day and many also probably don't know the origins of it either.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brit4064:
              Well there's proof some on here really are turkeys. MANY USC's refer to Thanksgiving as Turkey Day and many also probably don't know the origins of it either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a religious holiday declared National by Abraham Lincoln. It originated in Europe and is still celebrated there in autumn every year. It's not national there, but regional and community (church) feasts are celebrated where the farmers are bringing samples of their harvest to church for blessing by the priest. That's all folks!

I particularly like it because we get off from work for usually 3-4 days.

I had a massage yesterday. I was in pieces and now I am all put back together - pain free and fluid.

Happy Turkey Day!
              “...I may condemn what you say, but I will give my life for that you may say it”! - Voltaire

Comment

full article here

<span class="ev_code_RED">Seems it , like Christmas became all about the benjamins</span>

The year We had Two Thanksgivings

At the beginning of Franklin Roosevelt's presidency, Thanksgiving was not a fixed holiday; it was up to the President to issue a Thanksgiving Proclamation to announce what date the holiday would fall on. However, Thanksgiving was always the last Thursday in November because that was the day President Abraham Lincoln observed the holiday when he declared Thanksgiving a national holiday in 1863. Franklin Roosevelt continued that tradition, but he soon found that tradition was difficult to keep in extreme circumstances such as the Great Depression. His first Thanksgiving in office, 1933, fell on November 30th, the last day of the month, because November had five Thursdays that year. Since statistics showed that most people did not do their Christmas shopping until after Thanksgiving, business leaders feared they would lose money, especially during the Depression, because there were only 24 shopping days between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They asked Franklin Roosevelt to make Thanksgiving one week earlier. President Roosevelt ignored those concerns in 1933, but when Thanksgiving once again threatened to fall on the last day of November in 1939, FDR reconsidered the request and moved the date of Thanksgiving up one week. Thanksgiving 1939 would be held, President Roosevelt proclaimed, on November 23rd and not November 30th.

Changing the date of Thanksgiving seemed harmless enough, but in actuality proved quite controversial. It was so upsetting that thousands of letters poured into the White House once President Roosevelt announced the date change. Some retailers were pleased because they hoped the extra week of Christmas shopping would increase profits, but smaller businesses complained they would lose business to larger stores. Other companies that depended on Thanksgiving as the last Thursday of November lost money; calendar makers were the worst hit because they printed calendars years in advance and FDR made their calendars out of date for the next two years. Schools were also disrupted by Roosevelt's decision; most schools had already scheduled vacations and annual Thanksgiving Day football games by the time they learned of Thanksgiving's new date and had to decide whether or not to reschedule everything. Moreover, many Americans were angry that Roosevelt tried to alter such a long-standing tradition and American values just to help businesses make more money.*

As opposition grew, some states took matters into their own hands and defied the Presidential Proclamation. Some governors declared November 30th as Thanksgiving. And so, depending upon where one lived, Thanksgiving was celebrated on the 23rd and the 30th. This was worse than changing the date in the first place because families that lived in states such as New York did not have the same day off as family members in states such as Connecticut! Family and friends were unable to celebrate the holiday together.

Franklin Roosevelt observed Thanksgiving on the second to last Thursday of November for two more years, but the amount of public outrage prompted Congress to pass a law on December 26, 1941, ensuring that all Americans would celebrate a unified Thanksgiving on the fourth Thursday of November every year.

*Many Americans at the time believed that the Pilgrims chose the last Thursday in November to be Thanksgiving, but that is not the case. Although Americans had celebrated days of thanksgiving before, it was not until 1863 when President Lincoln began the observance of Thanksgiving in November. "

Comment

@4now: nice article! i ve learned a lot new stuff about "the turkey day"! For me it was always a day of relaxing at home with parents and brothers. but now i know, there is more behind it than just relaxing on a smooth sofa and enjoying the free day! thanx for that.

Comment

Dear Blom, please, stop using spam links, there are plenty places on the web to do this. Perhaps, we can leave this board to topics that are relevant to immigration discussion ?!

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation