X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J visa extension....

Hi,
    I was wondering what it takes in order to get a J visa extended. I have a friend and she is about to graduate from high school and she is here on a J visa.

She did not apply for college in the Fall because she didn't know that she would like to study here. But now she has made up her mind...so could she get an extension on her J visa and apply for college for the Spring and once that happens could she get her status adjusted to a F1 visa without having to leave the country during this period?

Thanks...

Hi,
    I was wondering what it takes in order to get a J visa extended. I have a friend and she is about to graduate from high school and she is here on a J visa.

She did not apply for college in the Fall because she didn't know that she would like to study here. But now she has made up her mind...so could she get an extension on her J visa and apply for college for the Spring and once that happens could she get her status adjusted to a F1 visa without having to leave the country during this period?

Thanks...

Comment

If she has the 212(e) requirement, she should go home for two years. Secondary students get one year in the US on a J. There won't be an extension. She may be able to change status to visitor for pleasure and then change to academic student. She can file an I-539 as long as she is in status. Most likely, this will lead to a denial and her never being allowed back to the US.

Comment

it's not too late for your friend to be admitted to college for Fall semester at all. ANd she should aplly to change her status to F-1 pretty soon, since it takes several months to do so. Up to 5.

If she doesn't have the home residency requirement, of course, she can change her status to F-1 in the States. SHe needs to apply for a change of status before her current J-1 status expires and at the same allow enough time for the processing. The good thing is that as soon as she applies for change of status, while her application is being processed she is considered to be in status. If her application is approved, great. If not, then she is considered to have fallen out of status since the day her current status has expired.

If she is subject to home residency requirement, then she needs to receive her I-20, leave the States and then apply for F-1 visa to come back.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation