Does this qualify for moral character?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this qualify for moral character?

Good morning.

An officer wrote an alleged school bus violation ticket on me. He said it's happened on march 08 at 7 am, but did not sign it until march 30.

I do not recollect ever seeing a school bus on that road, which I have been regularly using for that 2 years.

Additionally, I have been taking the same road for the last couple weeks around 7 am and particularly looking for a possible school bus. I havent seen any.

Now I would like dispute the ticket. If I do, I will have to show up and argue with them. Are they going to create a record for that?

Is that going to hunt me later when I qualify to apply for citizenship?

Should I just pay it and avoid dealing with them?

Thanks.

Good morning.

An officer wrote an alleged school bus violation ticket on me. He said it's happened on march 08 at 7 am, but did not sign it until march 30.

I do not recollect ever seeing a school bus on that road, which I have been regularly using for that 2 years.

Additionally, I have been taking the same road for the last couple weeks around 7 am and particularly looking for a possible school bus. I havent seen any.

Now I would like dispute the ticket. If I do, I will have to show up and argue with them. Are they going to create a record for that?

Is that going to hunt me later when I qualify to apply for citizenship?

Should I just pay it and avoid dealing with them?

Thanks.

Comment

Whether you contest the citation or not, it is a citation until or unlesss it is expunged. Good moral character for naturalisation purposes does not require that an alien choose not to contest a citation, if he/she believes it was made in error.
      The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

Ok, thank you sappyconifer.

But when I asked the lady that I wanted to contest, she gave me a paper that said the city of xx vs. me and she puts a date on it to appear in court.

Isn't that serious and scary? I thought for a second I was defending myself against the whole city.

If I just pay it, they wont have that piece of paper saying city of xx vs. me.

I just dont want to have anything like that on record. But at the same time, I dont feel like I should let the cop gets away with that.

Comment

Traffic issues are not a problem for naturalization. All you need is disclose it and if its asked disclose it, thats all.

Cant get denied coz of it.

Comment

Hehe Traffic convictions are municipality vs individual, whether you contest it or not. Other convictions are State v individual. Remember when you breach an ordinance or law, those laws or regulations have been established by the municipality or state and therefore any violation is a case of "you versus them", in fact, if not contested then they win by default.
            The above is simply an opinion. Your mileage may vary. For immigration issues, please consult an immigration attorney.

Comment

The best policy is to always contest ALL tickets even if you are at fault, unless you are a habitual offender.

They will always forgive/believe the firt time offender.

And even if you fail, at least you tried.

Comment

Thank you!

I never got a traffic ticket. Even this one, I did not get pulled over. The ticket just showed up at my door. I have no idea how they even got my information.

If the officer believe that I did an infraction, he should have pulled me over.

But saying that a violation occurred on the 8th and the officer did not sign it until the 30th is kind of surprising to me. I even checked the road yesterday to see if there are any radars or school bus signs. None.

I really look forward to the officer explanation. I wish I did not have any paper at all with the court system. Because people can use it later against you for any reason. If they dismiss it, will they still keep a record of it?

Thanks.

Comment

I don't know what state you were operating in, but some states permit school bus drivers to file a citizen's arrest, if they witness a vehicle passing a school bus while red lights are flashing. All that the bus driver or another witness would need to do is get an accurate description of the vehicle, driver and the license plate number to file the report. (California is such a state) Although I'm not saying you did this, it could account for the lag in the time it took for you to learn of the violation.

Comment

Take a look at this link. It lists the criminal penalties for such an offense. It is a misdemeanor in some states.

http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/schoolbusstop.html

Comment

Immigration doesn't ask for traffic violations. They ask if you have had any felonies/misdemeanor other than traffic violation. I don't think is anything to worry about.

Comment

Incorrect, ornela. Naturalisation forms ask for all citations, charges, convictions, plus one has to demonstrate that one is of good moral character, although this issue really wouldn't fall under that category anyway.

Comment

Maybe I am wrong, but I thought it asked for anything other than traffic violations. I don't have anything on my record myself(not even traffic violations).

Comment

I can't recall which question it is on form N400, nor can I recall the language verbatim. In essence, I believe there are questions that ask if the applicant has ever been cited...and also, if memory serves me correctly, if there was any infraction of any law for which the applicant was not arrested and/or convicted.

Comment

The application asks:

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?

This includes traffic citations. Clear as day.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation