X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swissnut
    replied
    Actually, I didn't say "...once the primary sponsor reaches the 125%, joint sponsor is "off the hook". I said that "A joint sponsor will be automatically relieved of his/her obligation if at the time of AOS the primary sponsor (you) meets the requirements alone. Other than that, I don't know of a way to expunge the joint sponsor's obligation. "

And as the below indicates, the USCIS will not oblige a joint sponsor if the primary sponsor meet the requirements.

"Joint sponsors are not permitted if the petitioner meets the income requirements unless an Immigration or Consular Officer requests one."

Leave a comment:

• KMcTram
    replied
    This was not my question -- "Is there a limit on the number of joint sponsors?

I believe that you stated that once the primary sponsor reaches the 125%, joint sponsor is "off the hook". I don't think thats true.

"Joint sponsors must accept joint legal responsibility for supporting sponsored immigrant(s) and reimbursing the cost of any means-tested public benefit used until the sponsored immigrants naturalize, can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work, depart the United States permanently, or die. From: http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffairs/factsheets/affaqa.htm"

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    "Is there a limit on the number of joint sponsors?

There is no limit on the number of joint sponsors; however, each joint sponsor must meet the 125 percent of the poverty line income requirement for their household size. Joint sponsors are not permitted if the petitioner meets the income requirements unless an Immigration or Consular Officer requests one."
    From: http://uscis.gov/graphics/publicaffa...ets/affaqa.htm

"A qualifying quarter is a unit of wages. Individuals who earn more than a minimum amount in a calendar year (the amount varies depending on the year) are credited with four quarters. Individuals also receive credit for quarters in which a spouse worked. The memo notes that an immigrant can receive this credit only if the spouse was married to the immigrant at the time the work was performed. To qualify for the spouse's forty quarters, the immigrant must remain married to the person who worked the qualifying quarters or show that the person who worked the quarters has died. An immigrant also receives credit for quarters in which a parent worked, if the immigrant was under 18 years of age at the time the work was performed. The statute does not require that the parent-child relationship exist when the parent works the qualifying quarters. Thus an immigrant who is adopted can claim quarters that the parent worked even before the child's birth or adoption."

From:http://www.nilc.org/immlawpolicy/aosupp/aosupp014.htm

Leave a comment:

• KMcTram
    replied
    Swissnut --

I disagree -- where did you find that 1) primary sponsor reaching requirement will alleve the joint sponsor and 2) that you can add sponsor and FN's quarters to reach 10. I have never heard that.

Leave a comment:

• cyberjag
    replied
    Thanks swissnut. We have been married 6 years. But the info you say about the primary sponsor reaching the income requirement will allieve the joint of their responsibility. I can't find any info on that. I think I am coming over this week and just getting a job though. That way I will just take the full burden myself, i just didn't want to be seperated from my wife for a month or so.

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    KMcTram,

Joint sponsor is obliged until the alien has met the 40 qtr requirement (if he/she does not become eligible any other way) but the US citizen spouse's work quarters can be used to reach that 40 quarter total.

Provided the couple remain married until determination is made by SSA, and the US citizen spouse and alien both work and contribute the mandated SSA minimum deposits for each quarter worked, then conceivably an alien can become eligible in 5 years.

For the purposes of encouraging joint sponsor assistance, stating it in this way halves the time they're on the "hook" as you say.

Leave a comment:

• swissnut
    replied
    5 x 125 is required in liquid assets. Income has only to meet the 125% requirement for your household size. I presume you've already met the domicile requirements, so if you were to move to the US ahead of your wife and secure employment, you could meet the requirements with income alone.

A joint sponsor will be automatically relieved of his/her obligation if at the time of AOS the primary sponsor (you) meets the requirements alone. Other than that, I don't know of a way to expunge the joint sponsor's obligation.

You don't say how long you are married.

Leave a comment:

• Dali
    replied
    Very nice law BTW. No pun intended!

Imagine, one could be broke as homeless, still , having a well-to-do co-sponsor/relative would be enough to overcome the 125% powerty requirement.

Leave a comment:

• KMcTram
    replied
    There is no other information to divulge -- this is the law and what is stated on the form. Period.

Leave a comment:

• Dali
    replied
    Tell the joint sponsor that 10 years committment is required per regulations.

If the joint sponsor trusts you (relatives usually do), then it shouldn't be any problem.

You may have hard time convincing someone other than a close relative (other than your parents, brother/sister) to do the same for you, because 10 years is a long period of time and people might think "Who knows what would happen in 10 years."

Leave a comment:

• marmaduk
    replied
    That's pretty much my understanding. Does the consular officer divulge any other information?

Leave a comment:

• KMcTram
    replied
    Joint sponsor is on the hook until immigrant naturalizes, dies, abandons, or has been working 40 quarters (usually full 10 years).

Leave a comment:

• cyberjag
    replied
    My wife (uk) and I (usa) went for our visa interview to move to the states. I have been living in the uk for 6 years. we do not have the means to have 5 x 125 the poverty level so we need a joint sponsor.My joint sponsor has a concern about the time commitment of the affidavit of support. The interviewer at the embassy said once I (the sponsor) was working in the states and making the neccesary amount of money (which will not be a problem) I could take the joint sponsor off and I could become the sole sponsor. I cannot find anything on the web to this effect to show the joint sponsor. can you help?

Leave a comment:

• cyberjag
    started a topic I-864 joint sponsorship on affidavit of support

I-864 joint sponsorship on affidavit of support

My wife (uk) and I (usa) went for our visa interview to move to the states. I have been living in the uk for 6 years. we do not have the means to have 5 x 125 the poverty level so we need a joint sponsor.My joint sponsor has a concern about the time commitment of the affidavit of support. The interviewer at the embassy said once I (the sponsor) was working in the states and making the neccesary amount of money (which will not be a problem) I could take the joint sponsor off and I could become the sole sponsor. I cannot find anything on the web to this effect to show the joint sponsor. can you help?
Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation

Attorney2Attorney