Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

THERE IS A COMPROMISE! THE DEBATE WILL CONTINUE!!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THERE IS A COMPROMISE! THE DEBATE WILL CONTINUE!!!

After all there is a compromise. The senate will vote on cloture on the Specter's bill tomorrow and that vote will fail lacking the 60 votes. So we are left with the Frist bill which was just amended to include a guest work program with path to citizenship for illegals that have been in the country for more than 5 years (before 2001). From what I understand the rest of the illegals will have to go back and participate in a regular guest work program. I dont know the details of the amendment since I have not read it but it was sponsored by Senator Martinez with the help of Senator Kennedy. This new bill (Frist bill +guest worker program) will be voted for cloture on Friday morning and a final vote that day. Amedments are expected to be filed tommorow before 10:30am. So probably there will be a bill after all....

After all there is a compromise. The senate will vote on cloture on the Specter's bill tomorrow and that vote will fail lacking the 60 votes. So we are left with the Frist bill which was just amended to include a guest work program with path to citizenship for illegals that have been in the country for more than 5 years (before 2001). From what I understand the rest of the illegals will have to go back and participate in a regular guest work program. I dont know the details of the amendment since I have not read it but it was sponsored by Senator Martinez with the help of Senator Kennedy. This new bill (Frist bill +guest worker program) will be voted for cloture on Friday morning and a final vote that day. Amedments are expected to be filed tommorow before 10:30am. So probably there will be a bill after all....

Comment

bullshi t. баян.

Comment

have you been watching C-SPAN 2? Thats exactly what just happened Lerka

Comment

I did. They are f uck ing confused there.

Comment

Pay attention. First they filed the Martinez amedment then filed for cloture of Frist's bill then they said that tomorrows vote will fail and they will continue the debate on Frist bill that will include the amendment sponsored by Martinez(the guest worker one)

Comment

They even managed to confuse others

The Republican alternative would separate the population into three groups depending on how long they lived in the United States as of January 2004. Those in the country longer than five years would be eligible for citizenship along the lines contained in the Judiciary Committee bill, aides said.

Those who have lived two to five years in the United States would have six months to register and three years to apply for a temporary work visa or some other visa, aides said. They could live in the country legally during that time but would have to return to a U.S. port of entry to get the visa.

Illegal immigrants in the country less than two years would not be eligible for special treatment and would have to leave, aides said.

I am very fine with that

Comment

Here is a link:

http://www.today.reuters.com/investi...N-UPDATE-3.XML

Comment

The physical presence requirement is something that could be beneficial but it must be handled carefully. This particular provision could trigger levels of fraud never before seen.
                  It seems there's a group in the Senate with no interest in any kind of reasoning and act only in strict accordance to personal political agendas and goals.

Comment

Talking about personal agendas...do you see the illegal alien supporters who have been protesting supporting this? Particularly those who have been here less than five years?! Actually, less than five years as of Jan. 2004 You can bet support there will be driven by THEIR personal agendas. I predict quite a bit of dissension among those who would be eligible and those who are not--or, as Houston said, who can't manage good fraudulent documents to prove it.

Comment

Im having a hard time understanding this..so what the kennedy/mccain bill will be expected to die this morning after the clutcher vote righ?? then haguel/martinez are expected to lay a guest worker plan into's frist bill??

My question is, would frist even allow them to pu the guest worker in his bill since he has publicly said he's for enforcement-only?

my second question is, what happens to agjobs and dream act?...well, dream act will be intact since people that have been inside the US for longer then 5 years, will be able o stay, but what if those people do not have a job and just attends school????

My final question is, if this passes by the weekend, how long will the house wait to go on the senate-house conference, then vote..will it be a long process..could the bill pass get enacted before july?

Comment

I think this is a pretty fair compromise. As long as it includes the "Dream Act" kids who have just attended school or college and not worked its MORE than fair.

Comment

i havent seen anything on the haguel/martinez guest worker provision that includes the dream act, as of yet...

I also think that dividing the group into 3 cateories is very fair..People that have been living inside the US for longer, should get a slighty better shot at this?

Comment

I've always liked Senator Chuck Hagel and Sen Ben Nelson. I'm not from Nebraska but i lived in the state for 6 years.

I'm not a Republican, but I would vote for Chuck Hagel for President in a heartbeat!

Comment

Well, the good news is that senators durbin and kennedy have joined the negotiations and both of them agrees that the broader kennedy/mccain bill which put about 9 mil on a path to citizenship unless they fall off the cliff and commits some kind of crimes which would disqualify them.

The bad news is , minority leader, senator reid migh be upset that his bill will be filubuster and might attemtp to have all democracts to fillubuster he frist bill + guest worker.This will kill immigration if reid decides to do that.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation