Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Blames Democrat for Immigration Impasse

WASHINGTON, April 13 "” President Bush lashed out today at the Senate's Democratic leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, accusing him of using gimmickry to stall an immigration bill that millions of Americans want enacted.

"I was encouraged last week when members of the United States Senate reached a promising bipartisan compromise on comprehensive immigration reform," Mr. Bush said at a gathering of small-business leaders here. "That was a hopeful sign."

"Unfortunately, the compromise was blocked by the Senate Democratic minority leader," the president went on. "He refused to allow senators to move forward and vote for amendments to the bill.

"It was a procedural gimmick that meant he was single-handedly thwarting the will of the American people and impeding bipartisan efforts to secure this border and make this immigration system of ours more humane and rational."

Mr. Reid quickly rebutted Mr. Bush's assertions. "President Bush has as much credibility on immigration as he does on Iraq and national security," the senator said today, declaring that if Mr. Bush is serious "then he should join me in calling on Senator Frist to bring immigration reform back to the Senate floor when we return."

The Senate was unable to complete work on immigration legislation before adjourning for two weeks last Friday. Senior Republicans blamed Mr. Reid for the stall, while Democrats blamed Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee, the Republican majority leader.

The politics of immigration are very complicated this election year, so much so that the Senate could not decide which of various competing bills it should vote upon. And even if the Senate does eventually pass legislation, it will have to be reconciled with a measure the House passed in December that emphasizes border security.

The Senate appeared to be near action a week ago today, as leaders of both parties reached accord on a compromise that would put most of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants on a path to citizenship.

But conservative senators assailed the compromise as little more than amnesty for lawbreakers and sought to add amendments. Democrats countered by refusing to allow votes on the amendments, on the grounds that they were intended to gut the overall legislation.

The Senate rules, which can seem mysterious to those unfamiliar with the chamber, often enable a minority of senators to block legislation. The rules have been used by both parties over the years.

Coincidentally, Mr. Bush's remarks today echoed those of Senator Edward M. Kennedy a week ago.

"This town's got too much politics to it," Mr. Bush said today, expressing the hope that immigration legislation will yet be passed.

"I think politics got in front of policy on this issue," Mr. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, said a week ago, after the Senate was unable to agree.

-------------------

WASHINGTON, April 13 "” President Bush lashed out today at the Senate's Democratic leader, Harry Reid of Nevada, accusing him of using gimmickry to stall an immigration bill that millions of Americans want enacted.

"I was encouraged last week when members of the United States Senate reached a promising bipartisan compromise on comprehensive immigration reform," Mr. Bush said at a gathering of small-business leaders here. "That was a hopeful sign."

"Unfortunately, the compromise was blocked by the Senate Democratic minority leader," the president went on. "He refused to allow senators to move forward and vote for amendments to the bill.

"It was a procedural gimmick that meant he was single-handedly thwarting the will of the American people and impeding bipartisan efforts to secure this border and make this immigration system of ours more humane and rational."

Mr. Reid quickly rebutted Mr. Bush's assertions. "President Bush has as much credibility on immigration as he does on Iraq and national security," the senator said today, declaring that if Mr. Bush is serious "then he should join me in calling on Senator Frist to bring immigration reform back to the Senate floor when we return."

The Senate was unable to complete work on immigration legislation before adjourning for two weeks last Friday. Senior Republicans blamed Mr. Reid for the stall, while Democrats blamed Senator Bill Frist of Tennessee, the Republican majority leader.

The politics of immigration are very complicated this election year, so much so that the Senate could not decide which of various competing bills it should vote upon. And even if the Senate does eventually pass legislation, it will have to be reconciled with a measure the House passed in December that emphasizes border security.

The Senate appeared to be near action a week ago today, as leaders of both parties reached accord on a compromise that would put most of the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants on a path to citizenship.

But conservative senators assailed the compromise as little more than amnesty for lawbreakers and sought to add amendments. Democrats countered by refusing to allow votes on the amendments, on the grounds that they were intended to gut the overall legislation.

The Senate rules, which can seem mysterious to those unfamiliar with the chamber, often enable a minority of senators to block legislation. The rules have been used by both parties over the years.

Coincidentally, Mr. Bush's remarks today echoed those of Senator Edward M. Kennedy a week ago.

"This town's got too much politics to it," Mr. Bush said today, expressing the hope that immigration legislation will yet be passed.

"I think politics got in front of policy on this issue," Mr. Kennedy, Democrat of Massachusetts, said a week ago, after the Senate was unable to agree.

-------------------

Comment

Seem like hey are all on the same page and republican + democrats wants an immigration bill.

Its very refreshing when you see hard core conservatives like bill frist being convinced by our president that he should make a deal with the democrats and pass the compromised immigration bill.

Im also glad to hear that democrat senator, harry reid, will no longer block killer-amendments that would not get enought votes to kill the great amnesty act bill.

Im also hearing that once the amnesty act passes the senate once they get back from recess,the president will work on the house member and force them to also compromise just like president bush broke the back of any resistence on the senate floor.

There's basicly no resistence in the senate and the only thing thats holding up the bill is democrats, who just wants too much..LET THE PROCESS GO AHEAD REID..WE HAVE ENOUGHT VOTE TO DEFEAT THOSE KILLER-AMENDMENTS.

Comment

Bush is an a s s h o le.

Selling our country to Mexicans and oil companies.

Comment

-----

Quotes like this reasonates inside the american's people heads...this is why all the polls that's coming out NOW supports the comprehensive approach instead of HR4437 that features the deportation approach.

Younneed to understand the mind-games and spychological technique that is being played here....with the president just talking about one bill which is the"comprehensive bill, the american people tends to believe that the only way they would get their border secure is if congress passes the comprehensive bill and accept the guest worker plan.

For those who supports HR4437, they dont seem to understand what is being done..The deportation bill i swepted under the rug with no chance inside the senate..The president is great at those mind games...Polls will break the backs of the last line of defense for the amnesty 2006.

This is great news for mexicans because there are no talks about enforcement-only. Even the house has promised to compromise and this is a great improvement from what they were saying earlier this year...remember they were saying they wont even go to a senate-house hearing if the senate passes a guest worker plan???

Comment

TANCREDO and SENSEBRENNAR for president!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

McCain is leading in polls as the G.O.P nominee for 2008...

Comment

Americans have not voted yet..you watch.

Comment

The american people wants amnesty for the poor mexican..the american people asked mexico for their poor, and their tired.

God bless mexico, god bless america, god bless canada..we are all brothers.

viva la amnestia 2006!!

Comment

you stupid mexican you are getting on my nerves.

When did Americans ask for stupid Mexicans? The mexicans jumped the border, ran from border police and kept running to get to our cities.

Who the f called them? Your mother?

Comment

THE AMERICAN PUBLIC CLEARLY WANT AMNESTY FOR THE MEXICANS.

Comment

The only Americans who like Mexicans are those who sleep with them, just like the cheap fun. No right thinking American will allow them to encroach on this country.

USA is not Mexico. At this rate I will become a minutemna I swear.

I used to think those minutemen were bigots until I saw these Mexicans on the streets;am now ready to do target target practice on Mexicans!

Comment

you are a minute-men activist, always been a minute-men, your entire family are bigots.

latino power is coming to your front door o take over your house....latino wuill take over the western state after the amnesty is passed..you watch and see..

god is leading the latino to victory aginst the evil forces.

Comment

Mexicans just keep playing with Americans.

You riot in the streets and think we are stupid. We will handle you with brain not demonstrations.

Life will ebcome unbearable to you until you will have to return to Mexico. You should be grateful for us allowing you to do our yards for $5.00.

What would you do if we decide to do the yard ourselves?

Dont play with America.

Comment

Yes, we asked the american nicely to give us papers, but the extremist refused, so now, we are taking to the streets of every US states, to scream at them to give us our papers..

my real name is juan ramirez and i crossed the border 10 years ago...i have a $16 an hour jobs and i own a car and a house...i live nicely as an illegal, and soon, ill get my citizenship because of the upcoming amnesty..but i couldnt care less because i live very comfortably with no papers, no ill love the amnesty thought.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation