X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Qs about LPR and fiance

Hi,

just discovered/read this forum and impressed by the knowledge here, so why not ask you guys a few questions.

I got selected by the DV 2005 program and have my visa interview on April 13. I'm a german of part indian origin based in Germany and work for a german multinational.

From what I have gathered, if all goes well this wednesday, I will get a bunch of papers that will allow me to enter/migrate into the US within the next 6 months. On the first time of entry with the new visa, I will get the I-551 Stamp in my passport and the GC is mailed to a given address.

I travel to the US using the visa waiver on a regular basis, either on work (WB) or to visit friends (WT). I don't intend to migrate immediately, since I have to wrap up things here in the EU and wait for a position to open up in my company's site in the US. I do not know which of two sites in the US I will be employed in. This will take atleast 3-5 months. I have an address at my best friends place in NJ.

Questions:

1. Should I use the papers provided to me the next time I enter the US on work or on holiday or wait till the actual migration travel?

2. I have a business trip coming up to the US in July. Should I enter with the LPR papers and register at my friends place in NJ as part of this trip extending it by a few weeks?

3. My fiance is a swedish citizen. I intend to take her along with me when I migrate to the US. can I declare her as a dependent or will she have to apply for a separate visa herself? Do we have to marry for her to be accepted as a dependent on my visa?

Thanx in advance

HBM

Hi,

just discovered/read this forum and impressed by the knowledge here, so why not ask you guys a few questions.

I got selected by the DV 2005 program and have my visa interview on April 13. I'm a german of part indian origin based in Germany and work for a german multinational.

From what I have gathered, if all goes well this wednesday, I will get a bunch of papers that will allow me to enter/migrate into the US within the next 6 months. On the first time of entry with the new visa, I will get the I-551 Stamp in my passport and the GC is mailed to a given address.

I travel to the US using the visa waiver on a regular basis, either on work (WB) or to visit friends (WT). I don't intend to migrate immediately, since I have to wrap up things here in the EU and wait for a position to open up in my company's site in the US. I do not know which of two sites in the US I will be employed in. This will take atleast 3-5 months. I have an address at my best friends place in NJ.

Questions:

1. Should I use the papers provided to me the next time I enter the US on work or on holiday or wait till the actual migration travel?

2. I have a business trip coming up to the US in July. Should I enter with the LPR papers and register at my friends place in NJ as part of this trip extending it by a few weeks?

3. My fiance is a swedish citizen. I intend to take her along with me when I migrate to the US. can I declare her as a dependent or will she have to apply for a separate visa herself? Do we have to marry for her to be accepted as a dependent on my visa?

Thanx in advance

HBM

Comment

You should enter as immigrant at the first opportunity. There is no advantage to waiting, and your countdown to citizenship (5 years) can start.

Comment

Your fiance needs to get and maintain her own status. If you plan to marry, best to do it before you get your green card. Otherwise, it will be a longer, more complicated process and you may end up not being able to see each other easily for a period of time.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I went for the interview and the papers along with my passport arrived last week.

I will travel to the US in July for some scouting and taking interviews for my future job in the US inside my current employer. Not really aiming to become a USC, pretty happy with my german passport and indian PIO card.

The marriage to my finacee will have to wait till we settle in the US I guess. If I had taken a transfer to the US office of my company without the GC, I would have got a L1 visa and my spouse L2, which allows her to work in the US. Is something similar available to spouses of GC holders?

Comment

If you get your green card before marrying, you are likely to have a long wait before she can legally join you. There won't be any "we settling" in the U.S. unless you're married. She will not be able to accompany you unless she can get her own visa. Perhaps someone else can help me out here, but I've heard it can take years for a permanent resident to sponsor a spouse if they marry after the LPR gets the green card, and she will need to wait overseas. She may not even be able to visit, because it would be presumed she intended to stay. Once she gets her own green card through you, she can work or whatever.

Comment

I understand the only process is to apply for a non-immigrant visa (work or study) before we marry. This is our most likely option.

She can still 'visit' me for less than 90days under the visa waiver programme since she has an EU passport, but overdoing that would give problems when she applies for a non-immigrant or LPR visa.

Non-immigrant V category visa for spouses of GC holders are only issued when the spouse has applied for LPR status and is on waiting list for more than three years.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation