d

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hudson, you forgot the pumpkin pie and the alka-seltzer!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
      [QUOTE]
      I've been to Puerto Rico three times - and all of the Puerto Ricans I met had a solid command of the English language. Been to the U.S. Virgin Islands more times and never met one inhabitant who didn't know English. Bilingual is a good thing, trilingual is even better! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      If they were working in tourism then they probably had a good command of the English language.

No, no, no. Not all Puerto Ricans speak English. I've worked here on the mainland with many that don't speak English at all.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iperson:
        So according to you ProudUSC immigrants are not showing respect, they only want to take off of the fat of the land, and not give anything back right?

Did you ask your illegal friends if it's true? Why didn't you ask them why they are not bowing in front of you when you pass them in the street?
        You might just get an answer.

So why are you lumping everyone into disrespectful sponges?

Didn't this thought pass your mind that your opinions may be read as arrogant? They are to me.

I'd ask you to respect all the illegal hard working people who work for next to nothing in the heat of the sun on construction sites, building your roads, highways and your houses. Mowing your lawns, babysitting your children, meat packing in factories, picking fruits and vegetables, etc.
        Show some respect to these people because you are leeching off of their hard work in exchange for the privilage of temporary stay on the holy ground of the United States... and nothing else. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They wave Mexican flags to signal their national origin, to tell you they are here, working and living in shadows. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Fyi, the image shown here above clearly shows an American and Mexican flag in one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I'm talkin' about!!
        (LOL) I must need my vision tested. I just noticed stripes along with the Mexican flag. Geez, what's all the fuss about? It's a protest. The Mexicans probably have more sensibility and unity than our Congress persons fighting amongst themselves.

The Mexican flag represents who is protesting (as if I don't have a clue). If the flag wasn't there I might've thought they were Guatamalan or from another country.

I wouldn't worry too much about the banner. If any reform passes, it will mandatory to be an 'English learner.'

BTW, didn't I read somewhere that there are fastrack Spanish courses for the presidential hopefuls?

The show must go on!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ProudUSC:
          I think we all take pride in our nationality - we should. It is part of who we are. The problem arises when it is taken too far.

Illegal immigrants who are here waving their native flags during protests are not going to gain any American sympathy vote! We are a nation who is rich with immigrants - immigrants who couldn't wait to come here for a better life. Now we have a wave of people coming in who are unwilling to adopt this country as theirs, but merely to benefit from what it has to offer. I totally disagree with this. That is one of the reasons this country is becoming so divided!!!! I could also go on, but will stop so I don't become offensive. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious Proud USC, you are against waving other flags in the United States? You interpret this as them "not wanting to adopt America as their own"??? This IS America, don't you get it?? Would you like to have a law instituted that would forbid it? They had similar laws in Germany during Hitler's reign.

Does this make you feel threatened? Don't forget, we all have a heritage to represent and in doing so, it makes America rich and diverse. I personally love to see other flags flying next to my American flag. Why? Because I UNDERSTAND that each flag TELLS A STORY of where that person came from, I appreciate that, it doesn't threaten me one bit. When someone flies another flag it's not a putdown of the US flag, neither it is a refusal to assilimilate, it's a compliment to how great this country is. They are saying: "this is my heritage, my past, while I am not forgetting it, thank you America for making this my new home"---This is not a protest against the American flag, this is the the reason many came here in the first place!

Who said this??

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

America is the only place on earth that opens it's arms to all people, all colors, all races, all creeds, all ethnicities. I embrace my America, I accept my America, I love my America for what it is and for who came here, what circumstances brought them here. They are now my brothers and sisters. Fly your stories high America, I'd love to see it! I understand why you do what you do, unfortunately, not everyone does...too bad.

Comment

Everybody's heard the saying, "Don't forget where you came from."

Does this only apply to not forgetting that you were poorer?

Roots? Your country? Should this be remembered or just kept 'in the shadows?'

Well, I guess some of the 55+ retirement communities that fly about ten different flags (representing occupants from different countries) should take them down except for the one American flag.

When I drive by and see all the flags it conveys to me a welcoming feeling about what the community represents. A diverse group of people living in harmony representing each country. Obviously nobody's complaining because the flags are still flying.

Maybe it says something about being 55+. You become more tolerant.

Comment

Basically you're saying that no law can operate in conflict with reality... That's a long standing fact.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation