X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• d

"
    This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.

"
    This message brought to you by the vast right wing conspiracy.

Comment

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
        "In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Need a hint, it was in 1907 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        You do realize that President Roosevelt was assailing German-Americans.
        "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by davdah:
          Does it matter? German then, every other hyphenated group today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          Then you have just proven that immigrants are met with suspicion, animosity, ill will, degradation, and hostility. Every immigrant group from the Irish to the Scandinavian, former slaves and blacks, eastern European, Southeastern European, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, Asian Indian, Latin American, Vietnamese, and now the Mexicans have consistently endured the discrimination, hostility, and hatred. This has been caused more by ignorance than by reason.

So, what is it to be an American? Or what is the American idea? Is being an American simply more than being born here? These questions have perplexed society for years. Americans pride themselves on being fair and equitable, yet we have always used aminosity and hatred to segregate groups that do not fit into our mainstream culture. Then take a look at American foods: hamburger, hot dog, pizza, tacos, fajitas, lo mein, ice cream cone, chicken kiev, etc. Most of our foods have been fusion based combining local ingredients with former home country flavor.

So, tell me, what is an American?
          "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

Agreed, davdah. A perfect example below - happened this week in D. C.

An immigration demonstrator waves flags during a rally in Lafayette Park across from the White House in Washington, Tuesday, June 19, 2007. (AP Photo/Ron Edmonds)

Comment

Mexicans are Americans.

Comment

Where is Mexico located? Africa?, Asia? Europe?

Comment

sure, edit what is necessary.

Comment

Yes, Mexico is part of North America, but their country is the United Mexican States, not the United Mexican States of America!

Comment

true, and I agree, but still America, specially Europeans call everybody (North, Central South) Americans.

Comment

Okay, I have no frame of reference for this. Never been to Europe, but do have some European friends. I'll have to ask them. I find it hard to believe that they are lumping all of these countries together and calling us all 'Americans'.

Comment

This is fun. Maybe you can tell us where does the word Mexico comes from and America. I am not cultured.

I was born in the Americas, but now that I{m thinking about it, I may not even from teh Americas if my ppl came from Europe.. hmm

Comment

lol. aham. davda, what do you think about the PATRIOT ACT?

Comment

I ask two words, not one. lol

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs