Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• independent contractor-out of status

I am currently out of status....here's my situation: I came to the US as a student, while on my OPT my mother filed I130 for me (she is a permanent resident)The I130 has not been approved yet and i know it will take years before this happens.....anyway I took the state license exam for real estate and passed . My question is can I be hired as an independent contractor while I wait for my ins approval? Anyone with similar situation?

I am currently out of status....here's my situation: I came to the US as a student, while on my OPT my mother filed I130 for me (she is a permanent resident)The I130 has not been approved yet and i know it will take years before this happens.....anyway I took the state license exam for real estate and passed . My question is can I be hired as an independent contractor while I wait for my ins approval? Anyone with similar situation?

Comment

I'm not sure but I'm in the same boat although my mother is a USC. I think you need to have a work permit and you can only get that when your 1-130 is approved. Do you have a SSN?

Good luck

Comment

How long did you file?

Comment

yes, I do have a ssn. My mom lives in stcroix usvi she filed for me in 2002 so i have a long wait yet

Comment

Well if you have a SSN then you should be able to set yourself up, although technically your not supposed be to working. What district did you file in, and have they told how long this is pending?

Comment

It's being processed in Vermont, they sent the usual letter saying that cases of my kind take between 150 and 999 dys to be processed. I looked on ins website and they are processing cases from 1999 in vermont.....
              I am just worried that they will ask me for a work permit at my job, as that has expired long time ago, but i dont think i should have to submit a workpermit if technically i am not their employee, I dont know....

Comment

You should be due soon then - no? Is that just for LPR's? I think you should go through the process and find out just what documents you need. Just inquire at a number of firms and see what they want.

Comment

probably easier if you start looking for a husband. I don't see many other options. Which country u came from?

-= nav =-

Comment

Employers file 1099's for independent contractors.

Which R.E. test did you pass? Sales or appraiser?
                    Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

I passed the sales person exam. I'm from stkitts

Comment

Dunno then.
                        Sweet Madame Belu

Comment

Does you SS card have any restrictions on? (ex.: Only valid for work with INS auth.)

If not, I don't think you'll have any trouble working without the EAD, but I don't think it is legal either...

Comment

i thought the virgin islands was part of the US?? Shouldn't u be a citizen?

-= nav =-

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed