Switching to student visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eddie2:
    Hi, my name is eddie and i immigrated here when i was about 7 on an i 94 visa as an h2 with my father and the rest of my family. Im 18 now and im in college but since my visa expired i dont know if im gonna be able to finish school, and i cant get any type of documents including an id card or license. I was wondering if there is anyway i could apply for temporary residency or at least a student visa? thanks for any answers that i recieve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    What is the status of your father in the immigration process? If you came when you were seven as a dependent of an H visa holder, I am curious if your parents are still in the US or did they return back to their home country.

To apply for the F visa, you need to file the I-539 form along with the I-20 from the college or university you are attending. This process will allow you to change from an H to an F visa.

The F visa will allow you to continue your studies at the university you are attending. To qualify for the F visa, you need to demostrate, either for yourself and/or family and friends, the ability to pay one year tuition. You will be allowed on campus work. After you graduate, you will be allowed the OPT, optional practical training.

As a foreign student, you are allowed to participate in scholarships, fellowships, and private grants, but not federal or state grants. You are allowed on campus work and in an extreme hardship, off campus work. You are alos allowed, as on campus, internships or fellowships if it is designed within your particular field of study.
    "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by eddie2:
      I am currently 18, my parents are in the same situation...except my father has been employed by the same company for about 8 yrs now so he is just worried about me and my siblings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
      he should be eligible for green card status. Did he apply for the I-485 employment adjustment? Once he becomes a green card holder, then you and your siblings will too.
      "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence." John Adams on Defense of the boston Massacre

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Someone12:
        sorry $hitbag, but there is no such visa category as an "h2" (there is an H2b, but some random kid was never granted one of these) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
        I think he means H4, dependent of a H visa holder, ie H1a, H1b, H2a, h2b, H2c.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hudson:
          To apply for the F visa, you need to file the I-539 form along with the I-20 from the college or university you are attending. This process will allow you to change from an H to an F visa.

The F visa will allow you to continue your studies at the university you are attending. To qualify for the F visa, you need to demostrate, either for yourself and/or family and friends, the ability to pay one year tuition. You will be allowed on campus work. After you graduate, you will be allowed the OPT, optional practical training. . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
          yeah, under normal circumstences... which I don't think is the situation here. Eddie (and his family) seams to be out of status (did not get GC based on H status).

Eddie, the time you spend in the USA without status, after you turn 18, is counted towards the ban on re-entry if and when you leave the USA.

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Home Page

Immigration Daily

Archives

Processing times

Immigration forms

Discussion board

Resources

Blogs

Twitter feed

Immigrant Nation